A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Thank You So Much AOL!?!

quickfind:1893

Postings on this topic in the 'Whingeing Fkwits: Technology' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Thank you so much AOL!?!
    from Anthony D: English Immigrant (gallovidian) lifetime member member photos on Mon 16/02/09 13:20

We've just been without an internet connection for 6 days.
    Started running really slow, then, after spekaing to thge lovely people at AOL it went off completely. They reckoned there was a fault on the line, which eventually appeared to have been resolved, but still no connection, so they reported another fault, which checked out as non-existant.
    Each adviser had given me a different set of settings to configure my router, none of which worked. Eventually this morning I thought I'd try re-entering my original settings (which they had all said were wrong) and guess what - back online in 30 seconds!!

From past experience I should have known better than to expect AOL to solve anything - in fact I did try phoning Dave at our local computer shop who sorted out my last 'unsolvable' problem in less than 5 minutes, but he was on holiday.

I've just sent off a blistering letter of complaint (again), which makes me feel a little better, but whill change nothing!

Re: Thank you so much AOL!?!
    from Jason F: Chief Scotster (snoboardr) founder member member photos on Mon 16/02/09 13:51

I wouldn't even recommend AOL to someone I hate, let alone a good friend - ditch it as soon as you can and switch!

tick 1

from Trevor P (cellardyke) member photos on Mon 16/02/09 14:07

They don't have a good name here either.

from Richard D: SkyeGuy (bonio200) photos on Mon 16/02/09 14:10

I know by saying this I am risking everything immediately going black, but I have been with AOL for years and never had a problem...

Now, when it came to moving to Skye and getting BT to connect the phone line... that really WAS a challenge...

from Ben D: English not British (ben) founder member member photos on Mon 16/02/09 14:43

quickfind:gallovidian > "I've just sent off a blistering letter of complaint (again), which makes me feel a little better, but whill change nothing!"

Exterminate them. That's what I do to those who oppose me. Either that or I send them to penal colonies on the other side of the galaxy. I assure you, both methods are extremely effective.

from Richard D: SkyeGuy (bonio200) photos on Mon 16/02/09 14:51

Sorry Anthony - forgot to say, it's good to see you back!

from Anthony D: English Immigrant (gallovidian) lifetime member member photos on Mon 16/02/09 16:21

LOL
    I'd been with AOL for years before moving up here and never had a problem.

When it came to getting connected up here, AOL kept rejecting our house move application and restarting the process for ages before thinking to do anything about checking the line. Then they checked it, found a 'TAG' and did nothing! After loads of calls, I got someone at BT to tell me that we were at the very end of the exchange and actually shared a line with next door, but AOL reckoned they knew better - even telling me on one occasion that the line was connected and I should be online! Once I finally got to talk to someone in Ireland who listened to what I had to say and they actually started to talk to BT things went relatively quickly and we only had to wait another two months!

Dave, our friendly local techie reckons they used to be great until taken over by TalkTalk, and now their so-called technical support staff are totally ignorant and untrained. We'd prob have moved to another provider by now, but all our business cards and advertising etc. has the aol address, so it would be a bit of a major pain.

from Gerri L: Ex-Member (deleted:gerri_the_dutch) on Mon 16/02/09 16:51

In the Netherlands we don't have AOL but still it was in the news one time how much crap it was :-))

from Richard D: SkyeGuy (bonio200) photos on Mon 16/02/09 17:25

quickfind:gallovidian > "all our business cards and advertising etc. has the aol address, so it would be a bit of a major pain."

Same here!

So, which is the best ISP?

from Anthony D: English Immigrant (gallovidian) lifetime member member photos on Mon 16/02/09 20:06

Our computer whizz says - for this area - he'd only recommend BT or Supanet, but none of them are without their faults.

from Richard D: SkyeGuy (bonio200) photos on Mon 16/02/09 21:00

I believe Tiscali has a bit of a bad name, but for the time being (reason above) I intend to stay with AOL

from Jason F: Chief Scotster (snoboardr) founder member member photos on Mon 16/02/09 21:52

A few years ago when I lived in the back of beyond, the only sensible option was getting satellite broadband installed. The guy who owned the farm on which I was living thought it was awesome - he felt I'd thrust his barn conversion project well and truly into the 25th Century. Buck Rogers eat your heart out.

I can't remember who the actual provider was but I know all my interweb used to go via Germany before being beamed into space because Google was always chucking me into google.de!

It was something to do with BT, though they were essentially just the reseller I think; they do have their own dedicated satellite broadband service now...

from Gary S: Greetings from the far north west... (ambriel) photos on Mon 16/02/09 22:03

I know BT take a bit of criticism but I'm with them for internet and telephones for both the house and my business premises.

from Ben D: English not British (ben) founder member member photos on Mon 16/02/09 22:14

quickfind:ambriel > "I know BT take a bit of criticism"

I think they're okay. They installed my teleport system.

from Anthony D: English Immigrant (gallovidian) lifetime member member photos on Tue 17/02/09 09:39

We can't get Sky satelite broadband here, cos we wanted it when we had the dish installed for tv, don't know about anyone else's version

from Wullie P: professional car detailer (favbypav) photos on Tue 17/02/09 10:34

just don't get talk,talk,they are horrendous.we took the business package & ended up 9months without broadband.
    they are an absolute joke.we are now with bt no problems

from Jo B: Passion, Courage, Spirit (mhairi) member photos on Tue 17/02/09 14:24

"Exterminate them. That's what I do to those who oppose me. Either that or I send them to penal colonies on the other side of the galaxy. I assure you, both methods are extremely effective."

"They installed my teleport system."

Okay...who are YOU and what have you done with BEN!!!

from Martin M (belgarion) photos on Tue 17/02/09 19:39

I just moved and was with AOL before the move but I have now moved to Virgin as i would have been so far away from the exchange, but I did have a slow down once (throttling they said) and they claimed it was down to how much i had downloaded the month before it was due to thier fair use policy

This topic's tags: aol, broadband, computers, internet connection, technical problems.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: