A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

148 Armigerous Clans Are Coming To Scotster!

quickfind:2966

Postings on this topic in the 'Scotster: Miscellaneous' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

148 Armigerous clans are coming to Scotster!
    from Jason F: Chief Scotster (snoboardr) founder member member photos on Mon 15/06/09 20:18

Through Scotster teaming up with ScotClans, we represent 199 Scottish clans. Every clan has its own chat forum and you can see other Scotsters affiliated with any of the clans. By choosing to display your affiliation on your profile you can have Scotster automagically show the clan crest on your profile intro.

But now ScotClans are to add 148 Armigerous clans to their site and so we're doing the same!

Yep, very soon we'll add 148 Armigerous clans to the list, enabling you to affiliate yourself to a clan that, so far, may not have been represented on Scotster - this will make it easier for you to find other people also affiliated to the same clan.

For more info on Armigerous clans and what they are, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armigerous_clan and the various links within that Wikipedia page.

Watch out for the announcement - as soon as ScotClans have added all 148 to their own site, they'll appear on Scotster. Here's the full list that I'll be adding to Scotster soon...

Abernethy, Adair, Adam, Aikenhead, Ainslie, Aiton, Allardice, Arnott, Auchinleck, Balfour, Bannatyne, Baxter, Belshes, Bethune, Beveridge, Binning, Bisset, BlackAdder, Blackstock, Blane, Blyth, Boswell, Brisbane, Butter, Byres, Cairns, Calder, Caldwell, Callender, Carruthers, Chalmers, Cheyne, Clelland, Clephane, Congilton, Crosbie, Dalmahoy, Dalrymple, Denniston, Don, Dunlop, Edmonstone, Fairlie, Falconer, Fenton, Fleming, Forrester, Fotheringham, Fullarton, Galloway, Garden, Gartshore, Ged, Gillon, Gibbs, Glas, Glen, Glendinning, Gray, Grewar, Haliburton, Halkerston, Halkett, Hepburn, Heron, Herries, Hog, Hopkirk, Horsburgh, Houston, Hutton, Kelly, Kinloch, Kinnaird, Kinnear, Kinnimont, Kirkcaldy, Laing, Lammie, Langlands, Learmonth, Little, Logie, Lundin, Lyle, MacBrayne, McGeachie, Mackie, Masterton, Maule, Maxton, McCorquodale, McCulloch, McIver, McKerrerll, Meldrum, Meikle, Mercer, Moncur, Monteith, Mouat, Moubray, Mow, Nairn, Newlands, Newton, Norvel, Ochterlony, Orrock, Paisley, Paterson, Pennycook, Pentland, Peter, Pitblado, Pitcairn, Pollock, Polwarth, Preston, Purves, Rait, Ralston, Renton, Roberton, Rossie, Russell, Rutherford, Schaw, Skirving, Smith, Somerville, Spalding, Spottiswood, Straiton, Taylor, Tait, Tennant, Trotter, Troup, Turnbull, Udney, Vans, Walkinshaw, Wardlaw, Wauchope, Whiteford, Whitelaw, Wishart

Re: 148 Armigerous clans are coming to Scotster!
    from Howard L: Celtic Warrior of Vermont. (keltica) photos on Mon 15/06/09 20:40

I hope Clan Johnston will be added.

from Jason F: Chief Scotster (snoboardr) founder member member photos on Mon 15/06/09 20:49

quickfind:keltica > "I hope Clan Johnston will be added."

I'm definitely not an expert in these matters, but have certainly tried to learn a lot about clans and septs over the last few months since teaming up with ScotClans... everything I've just double-checked online also seems to point to "Johnston" not being a clan name - rather the officially recognised clan name is "Johnstone" which is already listed on Scotster.

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Mon 15/06/09 21:00

Im still a clanless wee dolly :-(
    sob sob :-(

from Jason F: Chief Scotster (snoboardr) founder member member photos on Mon 15/06/09 21:16

quickfind:dollydimples > "Im still a clanless wee dolly"

I don't think there was ever a chance that Clan MacDimples was going to get included :p

from Alan B: Ex-Member (deleted:oxgangs1966) member on Mon 15/06/09 22:51

awww wee dolly mcdimples hasnae got a clan, i propose a new clan for all mcdimples!

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Mon 15/06/09 22:59

Dolly, can you not steal a relative's name down the line, somewhere way back in the murky depths of the past?

from Mary Nivison B: Oregon Lass (maclass47) member photos on Tue 16/06/09 00:07

Dolly, what are all your grand and great grand parents surnames, (grandma's maiden names). I am sure we can find you a clan if that is what you want! Otherwise, Clan McDimples has a nice sound.

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Tue 16/06/09 00:45

We've already instituted the grand auld name of Clan MacClanless under a separate thread. Dolly would make a fine addition I'm sure!!!! :-)

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Tue 16/06/09 01:18

Jason - you're not an expert yet but you are a fast learner.

An armigerous clan refers to a Scottish clan, family or name which is registered with the Court of the Lord Lyon and once had a chief who bore undifferenced arms, but does not have a chief currently recognised as such by Lyon Court. Before 1745 all chiefs had arms, however not all of these are recorded in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland, which was only established in 1672. In Scottish heraldry undifferenced arms are only held by chiefs or heads of clans, families or names. A clan is considered a "noble incorporation" because a clan chief is a title of honour in Scotland and the chief confers his or her noble status onto the clan. Because armigerous clans do not have such chiefs, they are not recognised as noble communities and have no legal standing under Scots law.

The list is therefore "technically" incorrect. My clan, Buchanan for instance, does not have a chief and is therefore an Armigerous clan. But these lists get changed and confused quite commonly, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. And of course - outside of Scotland - the Court of the Lord Lyon has no jurisdiction although we tend to honor their standing.

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 16/06/09 01:28

Well, Dolly can join me in Clan MacClanless I think, because although my family have clan names, (I've listed four that I know of-MacKay, Hay, Wright, and MacLaine) my own name is Scobie and that's only related to the clan MacKay,(I think) so I don't think I'm really a true clan relative . And I don't even know if any of the names mentioned are proper clan names like David describes above, or if they too are armigerous clans, but no matter, I'll either join Dolly in clan MacClanless or claim a clan from my list. All I know for sure is, I'm Scottish, because I was born here. :-)

from Gary G (bassdrummer) photos on Tue 16/06/09 07:18

I think I may have to join the MacClanless although there is a kilt with my mums maiden name (baker) but I have no luck finding a clan etc..

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Tue 16/06/09 17:31

My grandparents on my mothers side both came over to Scotland when they were very young. Thomson and Divers are two of the surnames kicking about with them.

And my other set... now Sshhhh... dont tell anyone this... BUT.... they are English! And sadly I know virtually nothing about that side of the family.

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Tue 16/06/09 17:32

quickfind:dollydimples > "My grandparents on my mothers side both came over to Scotland when they were very young. Thomson and Divers are two of the surnames kicking about with them."

Meant to put that they came over from Ireland.

from Mary Nivison B: Oregon Lass (maclass47) member photos on Tue 16/06/09 20:12

quickfind:dollydimples > "Thomson and Divers are two of the surnames kicking about with them."

From the information I have available, Divers is definitely an Irish name, but Thomson could be Scottish and would be affiliated with Clan MacThomas. Without doing research on your particular family, one can't say for sure. Families moved back and forth from Scotland to Ireland than back to Scotland all the time.

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Tue 16/06/09 20:22

I know my mums side of the family goes back to Ireland very quickly and my mum has done some research there but hit a brick wall because most of the records beyond a certain date are only in the parish records, so we would have to visit all the churches to try and find out exact dates etc
    ALOT of work :-(

from Nikolas P: Ex-Member (deleted:nikolas) on Sat 07/11/09 20:53

[Posting removed by Jason... it was just a scammer! :( <rolls eyes>]

from Len E (piperlen) on Sat 09/01/10 20:07

clan thompson does run to a clan tartan, see the blue or the brown thompson

from Shelia S: Sees no good reason to act her age (shelia812) photos on Tue 16/02/10 15:46

Can anyone explain to me exactly what a "sept" of a clan is? I found through research that my grandmother's family, Marshall, is a sept of Clan Keith. I'm confused. :-) I assumed everyone in that clan would be a Keith.

I need a little clarity. LOL

from Mary Nivison B: Oregon Lass (maclass47) member photos on Tue 16/02/10 21:17

Dr. Philip D. Smith, Jr. explains the term "sept" in his book "Tartan For Me!" very well.

"The preferred modern usage is to void the use of the term "sept" and to simply describe these names as what they are -- surnames of the family and of allied or dependent families. It is preferable to speak of 'The names and families of Clan X' rather than to call a name 'a sept of Clan X'."

Think of your own family, there are many different surnames but they are all part of your family. For example, think of your grandparents and their descendants -- there is probably many different surnames, but they are still part your grandparents family. The same can apply to most clans.

Hope this helps! If it doesn't continue to ask questions!

from Shelia S: Sees no good reason to act her age (shelia812) photos on Thu 18/02/10 15:53

Perfect Mary! Thanks for that! Explained it beautifully.

from Robert M: Trying to keep Scot crafts alive (r1mein) photos on Wed 08/12/10 02:22

I think I read recently on a website that some of the Higland Games and clan gatherings in the southeast U.S. are allowing 'visitors and new people' to attend and join the festivities without Scottish ancestry as members of a new and growing Redneck Clan.

from Shelia S: Sees no good reason to act her age (shelia812) photos on Wed 18/01/12 14:58

I'm sure some of the people I've seen at our Gathering in Charleston, SC are certainly not of Scottish descent but they do enjoy watching the Games and pipe bands.

This topic's tags: affiliation, armigerous, armigerous clans, clan list, clans, people, profiles, scotclans, scotsters, scottish clans.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: