A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Owning Your Own Piece Of Scotland

quickfind:3666

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish Miscellaneous' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Owning your own piece of Scotland
    from Gary L: Always too far from Scotland (tallbloke) member on Wed 14/10/09 21:25

Last year I became a Laird as I now own 1 Sq Ft of Scotland as I went to one of those site for a minor fee to get land & title. Has any body else decided to capture part of the Homeland?

Re: Owning your own piece of Scotland
    from Ben D: English not British (ben) founder member member photos on Wed 14/10/09 21:28

quickfind:tallbloke > "Last year I became a Laird as I now own 1 Sq Ft of Scotland "

......and with the marvellous Outdoor Access Code, anyone can come and take a stroll across that square foot.....erm......provided you don't have a house on that land in which case you would have reasonable grounds to object.......but what are the chances of that? Oh.....well......unless you are VERY small I suppose ;-)

tick 1

from Cherry M: cho fad is a bhios an deò,bidh an dòchas (siris) lifetime member member photos on Wed 14/10/09 21:31

Ben, had you thought that he may actually be a Borrower !!!

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Wed 14/10/09 22:02

I own ma wee plot of land that ma wee hoose is plonked on... all mine! Well apart from the 50% the bank still own... dammit ;o)

from Robert R: Ex-Member (deleted:metalhead1973) on Wed 14/10/09 22:19

back owns aboot 99.9% o mine still...LOL

from Robert R: Ex-Member (deleted:metalhead1973) on Wed 14/10/09 22:20

The bank even LOL I must learn to proofread these things BEFORE I hit submit!! LOL

from Julia C: Loving Scotland (thistlejay) photos on Thu 15/10/09 01:13

Gary would you care to let us know which site. I would love to own my own little piece of Scotland.

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Thu 15/10/09 05:47

One square foot, eh. Talk about standing your ground!

tick 1

from Cherry M: cho fad is a bhios an deò,bidh an dòchas (siris) lifetime member member photos on Thu 15/10/09 06:00

quickfind:alysen > "One square foot, eh. Talk about standing your ground!"

as that's about all you could do there !! ;)

from Rodger M (rodger_moffet) lifetime member member photos on Thu 15/10/09 08:20

You could try shooting very small deer with a VERY small gun! or stalk midges :-)

Seriously though these things are ok as a bit of fun but I worry when people take them seriously and start using the title (believe me we get a few of them!)

Good luck with the planning application!

from Martin M: Ex-Member (deleted:bigmartin72) on Thu 15/10/09 14:07

Don't you get a little plot bought for you when you buy a bottle of Laphroig?

from Gary L: Always too far from Scotland (tallbloke) member on Thu 15/10/09 14:09

The easiest option is to go to ebay (i did) and look up scotland. Mine was £19.99; you get a certificate, map location by O S and a membership card card. It gives you all year round fishing rights on the river (I don't fish I just eat it.)
    Hope this helps. :)

from Richard D: SkyeGuy (bonio200) photos on Thu 15/10/09 14:17

It's probably also a good idea to surround your plot with stockproof fencing to prevent your sheep escaping onto neighbour's plots. ;-)

from Julia C: Loving Scotland (thistlejay) photos on Thu 15/10/09 16:55

Thanks Gary will check it out

from Karen S: in one of the worlds top travel destinat (tartanlass) photos on Thu 15/10/09 17:28

Mmmm, I remember finding that site a few years ago and decided it was a gimmick... and a very novel get rich scheme for someone. But I could be wrong.

tick 1

from Andy C: SAOR ALBA (killieandy) photos on Thu 15/10/09 19:37

sounds like the ones to own a plot on the moon. only trouble is no one owns the moon and therefor cannot sell any part of it. ok as a gimmic but would never stand up in court and those selling might poss get done depending on whats in there small print

tick 1

from James H (jimppy) photos on Thu 15/10/09 20:22

I was given(as a birthday present) the title of Lord for a square metre of land on a highland estate, it came with salmon and trout fishing rights as well. As I understand it , anyone who owns any land in scotland may style themselves as laird or lord ( as in Land lord) . I think it's a good gimmicky way for conservation and if you're prepared to pay the price then why not, just don't expect a coat of arms or an entry in Burkes peerage!! thats a different proposition altogether.

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Fri 16/10/09 05:04

quickfind:rodger_moffet > "You could try shooting very small deer with a VERY small gun! or stalk midges :-]"

ooo They'd be the tiniest of midges, the smallest of deer and a tiny wee gun! I must start making my barbie doll the outfit. Any suggestions as to which tartan? It will have to be a wee one. ;-)

from Rodger M (rodger_moffet) lifetime member member photos on Fri 16/10/09 08:25

As far as i'm aware to be classified as a Laird in Scotland you have to be able to prove you can work the land you own. Maybe you could grow radishes!

Also even with a 6 figure OS grid ref this won't be accurate down to a metre so you may be grownig your mini crop on someone elses square metre and could start a mini-clan war!

If you do visit your estate you will need to dress correctly:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACTION-MAN--ARGYLL-%26-SUTHERLAND-HIGHLANDERS-(40th)_W0QQitemZ310152954828QQcmdZViewItem

from Gary L: Always too far from Scotland (tallbloke) member on Fri 16/10/09 22:40

Ther's one thing that ruins good natured banter and that's pedantics!

from Julia C: Loving Scotland (thistlejay) photos on Fri 16/10/09 22:50

Oooo can you get them on ebay aswell lol

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Sat 17/10/09 05:58

quickfind:rodger_moffet > "As far as i'm aware to be classified as a Laird in Scotland you have to be able to prove you can work the land you own. Maybe you could grow radishes!

Also even with a 6 figure OS grid ref this won't be accurate down to a metre so you may be grownig your mini crop on someone elses square metre and could start a mini-clan war!
    "

quickfind:tallbloke > "Ther's one thing that ruins good natured banter and that's pedantics!"

rofl

from Rodger M (rodger_moffet) lifetime member member photos on Sat 17/10/09 07:41

quickfind:alysen > "Ther's one thing that ruins good natured banter and that's pedantics!""

I think the proper term is 'pedants'. 'Pedantrics' would be the study of pedantry

ohh come on I HAD to do that!

:-)

from Gary B: See Scotland from the air (scotaviaflyer) photos on Sat 17/10/09 10:24

How about joining this group instead and you will really be helping the landscape..
    http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/our-woods/Pages/search-for-a-wood.aspx

This topic's tags: laird lady, ownership, titles.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: