A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Games That Children Play

quickfind:1931

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish Miscellaneous' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Page 1 of 2: 1 2 next
    Games that children play
    from McCulloch H: Museum:Home of Thomas McCulloch (mcculloch) photos on Tue 24/02/09 14:13

Looking for some ideas guys. One of the programs that we want to offer this spring to our school children is "Toys and Games of Scotland" Our younger visitors are confused about adult explanations of emmigration and traditions of our first settlers so we teach them through age related activities. One of the things that had been successful in my last Museum was the toys and games approach. We ask them if they could only take one toy with them what would it be? What would they like to teach their new friends etc.

I know many games and toys span cultures but I am sure there must be some good one's laced in Scottish tradition

Re: Games that children play
    from Alison F: Ex-Member (deleted:crystaldawn) on Tue 24/02/09 15:57

hopscotch is a good game. My mum said her mum showed her and it keeps going back the generations. hard to explain tho,

from McCulloch H: Museum:Home of Thomas McCulloch (mcculloch) photos on Tue 24/02/09 16:06

Thanks,

That one has cropped up as being Scottish... the kids play it here too so it would be familiar to them.

Also I have heard of What's in my Basket as originating from Scotland. A memory game that goes in circles.

from Alison F: Ex-Member (deleted:crystaldawn) on Tue 24/02/09 16:48

there's also "Jig ma handie" which is a form of Tag or tig where you have to grab the person's hand to tag them then they have to chase folk and do the same.

from William J (doonhamer) member photos on Tue 24/02/09 21:59

Ring a ring of roses

from Alison F: Ex-Member (deleted:crystaldawn) on Wed 25/02/09 20:39

spin the peerie which is just a spinning top or there is keepie uppie.

from Elaine S (elainefromtexas) on Thu 26/02/09 03:30

I'm not sure if this falls under the games category, but you might introduce some of the short poems found in Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses, such as "How do you like to go up in a swing".

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Thu 26/02/09 18:23

I had remembered using this web site once before when we were planning some games at a festival

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/traditional-games-1/

It is a free source book from 1894 that might help.

David

from McCulloch H: Museum:Home of Thomas McCulloch (mcculloch) photos on Fri 27/02/09 00:48

Thanks so much everybody :)

from Leslie T: Ex-Member (deleted:truethomas) on Fri 27/02/09 23:46

My mates and I used to hold a bike race called Deil tak the hindmaist. A number of children run round a circuit on their bikes (we used a triangle of local paths). At the end of each lap, the last person drops out until the last lap is down to just two contestants. Great fun.

tick 1

from Wullie P: professional car detailer (favbypav) photos on Fri 27/02/09 23:56

pass the parcel is my guess,don't know if it is scottish

from William J (doonhamer) member photos on Sun 01/03/09 18:17

Games were much simpler then than now.

Don't ask me why but I have just remembered playing 'hunt the thimble' with my grany many years ago.

Imagine asking today's bairns to play this

tick 1

from McCulloch H: Museum:Home of Thomas McCulloch (mcculloch) photos on Sun 01/03/09 18:30

Funy you should say that...I remember playing "Hunt the button" Yes, much simpler, no wires or beeps that's for sure.

from Lesley M: Ex-Member (deleted:macca) on Tue 03/03/09 21:21

"Kick the can" - anyone remember that? is it Scottish? A verson of hide and seak where the person who is "het" (am sure that's a Scottish word), counts and the rest scatter to hide. When the seaker goes to find folk they leave a can near the area designated "den". Folk who are found have to return to den but if any hider spies the den un-marked they can run up and kick the can to release all those caught. The poor wee seaker has to cout again and the others hide. If everyone is caught then the first to be caught does the counting and off you go again...phew! Hope that made sense! :o)

tick 1

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 10/03/09 16:40

Chain tig (or tag). One person is 'it' and chases all the others. as soon as he tigs (taps) anyone, that person is also a chaser - but they must chase holding hands! Once the 'chain' has increased to 4, they can split into two chains of two. Whole game continues until that last person has been caught. In an enclosed playground, avoiding being tigged gets more and more difficult, as each chain can work together to trap you!

There were umpteen different tig variants, including chain tig, high tig, low tig.

Another (rather rough!) game we played in primary playground was called British Bulldogs. The class split into 2 groups who assembled at opposite ends of the playground. Anyone refusing was called a sissy, and would be sent to coventry for the week. You chose a partner in your group, and climbed on to his shoulders - sitting on his shoulders whilst he secured your legs. When everyone was ready...CHARGE!!!! As the 2 lines of 'cavalry' collided, the riders did their best to pull enemy riders down. Any fallen had to clean off their cuts, rub their bruises, and get out the way. After perhaps 10-15 seconds, it was TIME. And the remaining riders retired to their own end to reorganise....then CHARGE AGAIN!!! Whole brutal experience continued time after time until everyone in one of the teams had been 'killed'!!

Oh what 'fun' we had!!

tick 1

from McCulloch H: Museum:Home of Thomas McCulloch (mcculloch) photos on Tue 10/03/09 17:52

Oh my...I could just imagine if we tried to play that game here at the Museum...Broken bones, cuts and law suits HAHAHAHA

from William J (doonhamer) member photos on Tue 10/03/09 18:47

I can remember a similar game where all the class or school would line up at one end of the playground. All except one the catcher. Everyone would run across the playground and it was up to the catcher to catch someone. If caught you joined the catcher in catching the next time everyone ran across the playground. Very soon the number of catchers would be greater than the number of runners and you would have the quicker big boys (or girls ) to catch who would bulldose their way through. Once everyone was caught the game was over and a new catcher appointed.

Such simple wild voilent times

tick 1

from Lesley M: Ex-Member (deleted:macca) on Tue 10/03/09 22:57

Another version called "red rover" where the appointed catcher would chant "red rover! red rover, I call xxxx over" and xxx would have to run passed to escape, if caught they joined the catching team and the team would then link hands to call the next person over, the next person had to break through the hands,with max force!!

Ah good times! :o)

from William J (doonhamer) member photos on Sat 14/03/09 19:50

Lesley - were they good times.

I can remember the bruises on arms, legs and body but also the cuts and grazes from falling ontot he tarmac playground.

Would this be allowed now with health and safety

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Sun 15/03/09 11:49

My younger daughter's joy at primary was doing flip-flops, cartwheels and handstands (she loved gymnastics!)

New is that nowadays children have been banned from such 'antics' for their own safety. Playing conkers..also banned!

Surely this is going too far? I can't remember anyone getting more than a few cuts and bruises at school - oh, and the occasional very painful knuckle after a badly aimed conker!

from Leslie T: Ex-Member (deleted:truethomas) on Sun 15/03/09 14:53

As a child I had almost permanently grazed knees. I still have a few scars from childhood. My poor Mother despaired at the way I went through shoes, the knees of my trousers and the elbows of my shirts and jumpers. She was also driven to distraction with me being continually dirty, to which my Granny would laugh and say "Let him be. A dirty bairn's a healthy bairn." How right she was.

tick 1

from Lesley M: Ex-Member (deleted:macca) on Sun 15/03/09 18:19

quickfind:doonhamer > "Lesley - were they good times"

I seem to remember we laughed - a lot!! were always outside running around, getting loads of fresh air and exercise! A contrast to today's generations who can barely walk to the corner shop either because they are unfit or because their parents are so paranoid that some sicko will snatch them (I being on of those scared parents!)

And I do enjoy the strange pleasure I got from picking my knee scabs :o)

(apologies to anyone sitting down to their tea!!)

tick 1

from Leslie T: Ex-Member (deleted:truethomas) on Mon 16/03/09 00:49

quickfind:macca > "sitting down to their tea!!]"

Not their dinner, "to their tea" do you notice? Ah how cultures change.

from Lesley M: Ex-Member (deleted:macca) on Mon 16/03/09 07:06

quickfind:truethomas > "Not their dinner, "to their tea" do you notice"

Aye but they'll have had their dinner at 12 o'clock!! :o)

from Cherry M: cho fad is a bhios an deò,bidh an dòchas (siris) lifetime member member photos on Mon 16/03/09 09:04

quickfind:phil > "playing conkers.. also banned"

we had British Bulldog banned in our primary school !!! oh and rollerskates got banned too, apparently both activities were too much for our teachers to cope with !!

Page 1 of 2: 1 2 next

This topic's tags: games, genealogy, history, nova scotia, teaching.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: