A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

English To Scottish Gaelic Translation

quickfind:6024

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish Miscellaneous' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 next
    English to Scottish Gaelic translation
    from Maria M (mcgarvalass) on Tue 08/02/11 08:49

Greetings! Does anyone on here know how to translate phrases from English to Scottish Gaelic? I'd like to know how to spell:

"Stephen, the Pure of Heart"

Much obliged for any help you can offer!

Re: English to Scottish Gaelic translation
    from Teresa H: Ex-Member (deleted:tharri76) on Tue 08/02/11 20:09

This is what I came up with. Stephen an glan de cridhe.. here is where I got it.. lol

http://www.majstro.com/Web/Majstro/sdict.php?gebrTaal=eng&bronTaal=eng&doelTaal=gae&teVertalen=heart

from Maria M (mcgarvalass) on Tue 08/02/11 21:34

Many, many thanks! xx

from Teresa H: Ex-Member (deleted:tharri76) on Tue 08/02/11 22:35

I hope that it is right? Anyone? lol.. I know that the Irish Gaelic is different. is what I heard at least.. but the above is Scottish.. got it from the translator.. lol

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Wed 09/02/11 05:22

Hmm. "de" is not used in many circumstances where "of" would be used in English, because most such usages are replaced by the use of the genitive case. I can't find any Gaelic equivalent of "Stephen", and the usage of the definite article in Gaelic is not what English speakers would expect.

I would express this as "Stephen, Glan an Cridhe" as a better literal translation of the English, but a native speaker might very well come up with something completely different - Gaelic has many idioms of expression which get an idea across in a way that is very different from the way English speakers would do it.

from Andrew K: Highland Gamer in Indiana. (bigscot) photos on Thu 17/05/12 23:43

Would like to translate "The fork that shall not be named" into Scottish Gaelic, if anyone has suggestions. I have looked up all of the words, but not sure if they are assembled correctly.

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Fri 18/05/12 00:52

quickfind:bigscot > " "The fork that shall not be named""

Now that one is downright weird. I Would translate that as "an fhorca, 's cha bhi ainm oirre" or "an fhorca", 's chan urrainear ainm a chuir oirre"

from Joey P (joey1111) photos on Sun 04/11/12 02:50

i was wondering what the translation for fiercer than fierceness itself would be. Thank you so much

from Mari M (mazza) on Fri 11/01/13 22:37

hi just wondering if anyone can translate "The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn" into scottish gaelic ? i have used google translate but i want it as a tattoo so need to be 100% its right . thanks .

from Jeff M (macnab23) on Sat 19/01/13 16:11

Hello! I have been trying to find a Gaelic translation for "Don't Tread On Me", and also confirmation that "Mac na h'Alba" is the correct form for "Son of Scotland". I would greatly appreciate any translation help or advice!

Many Thanks,
    J. MacNab

Dragon Tales
    from Isabella O (captainhalcyon) on Sat 02/02/13 16:15

I recently was reminded of a children's show called Dragon Tales that use to be shown on BBC Two Scotland in Gaelic as Dragon Sgeul.
    I've searched for it everywhere to watch it again but cannot seem find it so I was wondering if anyone would be able to translate the intro theme as well as possible so that I could record a cover, as I have a few friends interested in hearing one of their favourite Television show in a different language.
    Thanks, Isabella

from Scott M (skunk1) on Tue 05/02/13 00:39

To the educated.

I am looking for the Scotish Gaelic translation for Dark Warrior.

If anyone can help please let me know.

Thanks

from Katrina S (dutchessvonminx) on Sun 10/02/13 04:51

Does anyone know the Gaelic spelling for "Richmond"?

I'd also love to know the gaelic word for family (meaning extended family like grandparents etc, not immediate family)

Thank you

from Kirsten M (commotion) on Wed 27/03/13 20:12

Does anybody know what the translation would be for "chase the wind and touch the sky"?
    Thank you for any help you can provide!
    :)

from David B (dav1d) on Mon 27/05/13 10:17

Hi folks,

I'm looking to translate " The Young Boy's " to Scottish Gaelic.

This is the name of my football team, and I'm currently designing a new badge.

The name was choosen as we are all young in comparison to the other players within teams in our league, having not long left school.

Thanks in advance.

David

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Mon 27/05/13 14:45

" The Young Boys " -> "Na Gillean Òga"

from Becca C (becca) on Mon 17/06/13 15:31

Getting a tattoo so want all spelling etc to be correct. Would anybody be able to tell me what 'Love, Laugh, Dream' is in Gaelic.

Thank you!:)

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Tue 18/06/13 05:02

quickfind:becca > " 'Love, Laugh, Dream'"

"Gràdhaich, Gàir, Bruadair"

I wouldn't guarantee that "bruadair" has the same connotations in Gaelic that "dream" has in English.

It could be done as nouns:

"Gràdh, Gàire, Aislinnean" - "love, laughter, dreams/visions"

from Becca C (becca) on Wed 19/06/13 12:31

Thank you. I was also wondering if you could translate 'mean speak, do weil' for me, it is off of a clan Urquhart's kilt pin.

from Becca C (becca) on Mon 24/06/13 16:52

Can anyone tell me what 'mean speak, do weil' is in scots gaelic please :)

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Tue 25/06/13 03:45

That might be a bit condensed to fit the small size of a kilt pin. I have seen the full motto as something like "Meane weil speak weil and doe weil". There are several variations of that.

This could be translated as "rùnaich gu math, bruidhinn gu math, dèan gu math"

tick 1

from Huon U (bambam) on Wed 31/07/13 00:23

Can anyone help me with a translation of, Trust and Go Forward.

from Judah M (judah) on Tue 20/08/13 16:54

Looking for a translation for a tattoo, having done some rudimentary study of irish gaelic and scots gaelic I understand that a word for word translation is unlikely and that there could be different ways to express the phrase in scottish depending on the translator. That being said, the phrase I want translated, is: "Every man dies, not every man truly lives." Also, if I am fortunate, if someone could also translate "Races with spirits," and "dweller of two worlds," for a story I am writing I would be grateful.

from Laura H (pinkstar_laura) on Tue 27/08/13 04:19

I have been asking every Scottish person I know and all of my family and even asked a couple of Irish fellas at my football club if someone/anyone can translate a phrase for me from English to Scottish Gaelic. The phrase is "I refuse to sink", meaning never give up.

Is anyone able to help?

Thank you in advance.

from Fred H (pyeknu) photos on Fri 06/09/13 16:45

Hi. I'm sorry to bother people on this website, but I need a quick translation of a phrase for a "Harry Potter" fan fiction story I'm currently writing. Said phrase:

"Friend of Dragons"

To explain the context, the person so called this is a young woman from Japan who pops in and out of places to save magical creatures - mostly dragon hatchlings and clutches - from poachers. The nickname came about because of the "HP" character of Rubeus Hagrid.

I note the above since I'm unaware of gender-specific terms in Scots Gaelic which might change the spelling of words as it does in languages such as German.

My thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 next

This topic has no tags.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: