A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Where Did The Scots Come From?

quickfind:3536

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish History' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 next
    Where did the Scots come from?
    from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Tue 15/09/09 19:55

Canada is a strange place, full of diversity, and with it comes some strange theories. Here are three I have heard from non-Scottish immigrants about the Scottish:

1) The name Cameron is a derivative of an old Italian name and was brought to the British Isles as the Roman Empire was dying.

2) All Scots hail from Bulgaria and the migration happened.

3) Scots are the lost tribe of Israel.

Does anyone know the truth? Do all have a grain of truth, or are they fantasies from people who truly want to be Scottish (O! I hear the bias coming, LOL)?

Re: Where did the Scots come from?
    from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Tue 15/09/09 20:34

Well its not exactly the Scots that you are hearing about. The word "Scot" came from a tribe known as the Scotti who were Irish Gaelic/Celts.

Most of what you list would refer to the Celtic tribes who were believed to have come from the east, perhaps Persia or beyond or at the very least central Europe in the Iron Age. They conquered most of Europe including Rome as they moved westward into Gaul and Iberia, then up into Ireland and eventually Scotland.

Some believe that the Picts were a Celtic tribe also. They were in northern Britain before the Scots, perhaps by way of Germany or Denmark. But their origins are lost in the mists of time and no one knows for certain.

As for the Cameron bit "this famous and ancient Scottish surname has two origins; firstly, as a Highland clan name it represents a nickname from the Gaelic "cam" meaning crooked, bent, plus "sron", nose. Secondly, in the Lowlands it is normally a locational name from any of the various places so called, all of which show early forms such as "Cambrun", and are named from the Gaelic "cam" plus "brun", hill."

But many Scottish names derive from other places: Vikings, Danes, Normans, French, Welsh, English, etc. etc. The Romans were there and did leave behind some of their people who were absorbed in the "Scots" as we know them today. Not wishful thinking at all. Just part of who the Scots are.

Hope that helps.

tick 1

from Drake M: Abair ach beagan agus abair gu math e. (iain_ciotach) photos on Wed 16/09/09 01:08

I think faeries left them under cabbage leaves...

tick 2

from Mary Nivison B: Oregon Lass (maclass47) member photos on Wed 16/09/09 01:39

quickfind:iain_ciotach > "I think faeries left them under cabbage leaves..."

Nae, that was the Irish who were left under cabbage leaves!

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Wed 16/09/09 02:02

I'm starting to think I took this question far too seriously.

cross 1

from W M: Ex-Member (deleted:highland_elite) on Wed 16/09/09 02:20

I was always told I came from a gleam in my Daddy's eye!!!!

from Amy T: Ex-Member (deleted:amyjo) on Wed 16/09/09 02:45

I recently bought a Scottish history book by Magnus Magnusson: Scotland - The Story of a Nation. According to that book, the author says the people the Romans Scoti came from Ireland.

Mr. Highlander, I'm sure your daddy did have a gleam in his eye when you were conceived.

from Mary Nivison B: Oregon Lass (maclass47) member photos on Wed 16/09/09 03:15

quickfind:ctbuchanan > "I'm starting to think I took this question far too seriously."

Cousin, you answered the question with such expertise! So now we can have fun with our answers.

from Drake M: Abair ach beagan agus abair gu math e. (iain_ciotach) photos on Wed 16/09/09 03:16

I'm sorry, David. I forgot to warn you all I was an a**h*le.

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Wed 16/09/09 03:56

Serious info much appreciated, David. Considering some of the nonsense that floats around this country it's a breath of fresh air to have the truth.

Now, on to Drake! He's been building the world's biggest naughty chair and buffing it with his butt.

It's so 'elitist' of Highlander to talk about the gleam in his daddy's eye! I'll bet he has a few gleams of his own to keep the elite Highlanders going.

So, Amy the Irish are really Scottish or the Scottish really Irish, according to Magnussun? We know the Romans didn't like the Scoti, thus the wall to keep us back.

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Wed 16/09/09 04:54

Understanding the migrations of peoples in prehistoric times is a very difficult business, and probably won't be well understood until genetic analyses of modern populations can be correlated with similar analyses of ancient human remains.

from Drake M: Abair ach beagan agus abair gu math e. (iain_ciotach) photos on Wed 16/09/09 12:08

And gittin' aw blistery...

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Wed 16/09/09 13:37

quickfind:maclass47 > "Cousin, you answered the question with such expertise! So now we can have fun with our answers."

Cousin,

No, it's just me. Sometimes I can't tell if the posts on here are just pulling people's legs or asking a question. That's not a criticism - just me being dense sometimes. But it doesn't matter, I'm not that thin skinned. But now I'm starting to confuse myself.

And David G: hits it square. People keep trying to measure history in modern terms. There was no Ireland or Scotland a thousand years ago as we know it today. So when people try to apply terms like "Irish" or "Scottish" to those tribes it doesn't really work.

from Amy T: Ex-Member (deleted:amyjo) on Wed 16/09/09 13:48

I do not have the book with me at the moment, because I am at work - but according to the book I bought, It also said something about the Scottish people descending from some Egyptian female. Tonight when I get home I will look it up and quote.

tick 1

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Wed 16/09/09 16:56

Ahh, my father's first language was Gaelic. He joined the RAF and during the early 50's was stationed in Bagdad. He said it was easy for him to pick up Arabic because the phoneme (sounds) are very similar to Gaelic.

He never mentioned the similarities between the two languages' structures, and a linguist studying both would be the one to ask about this.

Since Arabic is the contemporary language of Aramaic, and there are phoneme similarities with Gaelic, the ancient Scottish being the lost tribe of Israel must remain purely speculation. To find any written documentation to confirm this would be beyond the needle-in-the-haystack. But, it is always possible some archeologist digs something up, somewhere to confirm either way.

The Bulgarians I've spoken with say their language is similar to Gaelic. Plus, some of the other customs are the same as the Scottish, which would point to migration during the Iron Age. Is Bulgarian similar to Aramaic? I don't know.

The Italian claim has some plausibility, but I believe it's just wishful thinking on the part of some who are enamoured with the romanticized history.

Hadrian's Wall was to keep those living further north from having easy access to invade. Early Vikings were raiding the coasts at the time, and I believe the Romans had a great fear of these peoples, because of their innate superstitions.

I posed the question to get a view from those who have studied Scottish history more than I. Depending on where one lives in Canada the libraries stock the shelves with history and cultural according to the area's population. Scottish history is non-existent in my part of the country.

That all being said, I still welcome the flippant and witty comments, because to laugh is to live. Back to your chair, Mr. Drake!

from Drake M: Abair ach beagan agus abair gu math e. (iain_ciotach) photos on Wed 16/09/09 19:48

I ne'er left it, Ms. Alysen!

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Thu 17/09/09 01:20

quickfind:alysen > "He never mentioned the similarities between the two languages' structures, and a linguist studying both would be the one to ask about this"

The structural differences are substantial. Gaelic is an Indo-European language. (Bulgarian is another) Arabic, Aramaic, Hebrew, and several other middle-eastern languages, both living and extinct, are members of the Afro-Asiatic family of languages.

There are many, many similarities of vocabulary and grammar among languages in the same family. For example, if you hear someone counting aloud the numbers from one to ten in almost any Indo-European language, you will probably recognize what you are hearing, even if you don't know the language. If you know more than one Indo-European language, the probability that you will recognize such counting rises to near-certainty. If you hear someone counting from one to ten in Arabic, you will have no clue as to what is being said.

There is a lot of nonsense floating around about linguistics in some quarters. A few years ago, I saw a piece of "evidence" on a web site which was devoted to the idea that the Gaels were the descendants of the lost tribes of Israel. The bogus evidence was two short texts which on the surface appeared to be very similar. One was said to be ancient Hebrew and the other was Old Irish. No translation was provided for either. Since I know Gaelic fairly well and also know some Latin, I can usually read most of an Old Irish sentence. This particular one, however, was complete gibberish, and I suspect that the same was true of the supposedly Hebrew text. The absence of translations suggests that the author of this bogus evidence was being deliberately deceptive.

from Joanne E (jokennedy) on Sat 19/09/09 01:11

Okay, so what we have here is that all the world wants to be Scottish (check the tartan finder at ScotWeb to see all the new tartans being created for non-Scottish people!) The reason is this - the Scots are God's chosen people. See, the Scots really are the lost tribe of Israel (forget about the "facts" researchers, scientists and archaeologists tell you). See the linguistic pattern here? Israel has tribes and Native Americans have tribes. And now they have finally let out the "real truth" about the Holy Grail. (I saw it on the History Channel, right?) See, Jesus was really married and had this kid. After he died, the wife and kid really moved to Scotland and the descendants intermarried with the Scots because the Scots were the lost tribe of Israel. (Some people claimed they ended up in France, but we know better, right?) So, now, we have the truth: Scots are twice God's children. I read that in the Bible Code just this morning. (We all know that the Bible Code is real, right?)

Why don't the Scots look Semitic? Well, uhm? Someone can make up a reason for that.

Uh, Oh! I forgot - the Native American are the lost tribe of Israel, too. Actually, the Picts, Celts, and Gaels were tribes of Native American who immigrated to the British Isles. Well, actually, the History Channel had a program where it explained that Scotland was part of North America way back because there was this type of rock in Scotland that was found only in Scotland and in part of North America. ----- And everybody thought that Scots immigrated to the Americas. Now we have it - the Native Americans (lost tribe of Israel) immigrated to Scotland, and then some re-immigrated to the Americas thousands of years later! (This whole thing about Orientals crossing the Bering bridge and turning into Native Americans, well, that's just more of that nonsense made up by those scientists, researchers, and archaelolgists.)

Hummm? I am part Scot on my dad's side and part Native American on my mom's side. Does that mean that I am a Jewish Presbyterian married to a German Lutheran?

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Sat 19/09/09 01:17

quickfind:jokennedy > "Why don't the Scots look Semitic?"

Joanne, have you ever met a Cameron? We have Semitic noses! In fact that could be the real evidence of Scots being the lost tribe of Israel.

Very funny, I enjoyed your Presbyterian Jewish slant on things.

from Joanne E (jokennedy) on Sat 19/09/09 02:45

quickfind:alysen > "have you ever met a Cameron? We have Semitic noses! In fact that could be the real evidence of Scots being the lost tribe of Israel."

Alysen, the only Camerons I have met were boys who had the first name of Cameron. The way it is, Cameron clearly describes the shape of the nose of the original Cameron. This shape has obviously been passed down. I have Campbell ancestry in addition to the Kennedy. I didn't inherit the crooked mouth (I don't know anyone in my family who did). Is there a clan whose name describes crooked feet? I could be descended from the crooked feet clan.

Well, some Native Americans have less than small noses too. See, that is the connection! The lost tribe got stuck on the Americas; Pict, Celt, and Gael tribes (Semitic noses and all) drifted away with Scotland when it broke apart from North America and slammed into England. See, we have it all figured out! And of course, Jesus's kid mixed in with the Scottish Native Americans to become the modern Scots. (Hey! What are you Scots doing hanging around with the European Union? You belong in the Organization of American States! You are the most lost tribe Israel ever had!) Speaking of Scots being the lost tribe of Israel, aren't ladies's sashes and gent's shoulder fly plaids the Scot version of the Jewish prayer shawl (just fancied up the stripe on the edge to an overall plaid)?

Speaking of the meaning of clan names: it has long been a tradition of some people to use the mother's surname for a son's first name, so much so that some surnames are commonly found as male's first names. In recent times some parents have taken to naming their daughters Kennedy. I wonder how many of those parents know what they are really calling their little girls?

from Drake M: Abair ach beagan agus abair gu math e. (iain_ciotach) photos on Sat 19/09/09 03:21

I'm sticking with my original answer.

from Joanne E (jokennedy) on Sat 19/09/09 03:42

quickfind:iain_ciotach > "I'm sticking with my original answer."

No, no, no, Drake! The Cabbage Patch Faeries put them in the doctor's little black stork bag. The doctor brings the little black stork bag and pulls the little Scots out and hands them to the little Scot mommies and daddies fully dressed in formal highland dress. But, of course, the CP Faeries had to fly from Jerusalem, over the Americas, then to Scotland before putting them in the doctor's little black stork bag.

I have this on good authority. One of my doctors is Dr. Drake.

from Drake M: Abair ach beagan agus abair gu math e. (iain_ciotach) photos on Sat 19/09/09 03:51

Scotland from Jerusalem via America? Who plotted that route? AAA?

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Sat 19/09/09 16:39

OOO that can't be Mr Drake. The AAA is much more efficient; that route must of been plotted by those who would eventually be Canadians - the mindset being 'if it's organized and efficient throw it out with the baby'.

Very funny Joanne! And Hollywood,CA has two actresses named "Broken Nose", which fits in well with the Native American connection.

from Amanda M: ScotClans (amanda) photos on Sat 19/09/09 20:01

Legend has it the Scots came from Egypt:
    http://www.scotclans.com/bletherskite/?p=925

A pharaohs daughter called Scotia ran a troublesome gang that were known as Scots. They were basically thrown out of Spain and Ireland finally settling in a land that would be known as Scotland.

Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 next

This topic's tags: history.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: