A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

The Campbells (Versus The MacDonalds Etc Etc)

quickfind:1859

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish History' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 next
    The Campbells (versus the MacDonalds etc etc)
    from Rob W: Ex-Member (deleted:macsunday) on Wed 11/02/09 16:34

"Is it true", ask non-natives, "that Campbells and MacDonalds still hate each other because of the Glencoe Massacre?"

Expats, generations removed, seem to believe in this!

Your surname is just a name, and you got it from the local rich and dangerous family you paid rent/protection money to!

Maybe the big daddy came to weddings and impregnated the bride on Prima Nocta to get the clan/family allegiance thing going?

Maybe i hate Zulus and Germans for killing my ancestors!

Or the IRA or the English. In fact, let's invade Norway for what they did to the Isle of Iona!!

WISE UP AND LIVE IN THE PRESENT!

Or tell us here what its all about......

cross 1

Re: The Campbells (versus the MacDonalds etc etc)
    from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos on Wed 11/02/09 16:56

http://www.bayviewkentallen.co.uk/glencoemassacre.html

BLAME THE GOVERNMENT! The Campbells were 'set up' and many of the Campbell militia actually warned their hosts to flee before the killing started.

Even a fairly recent interview with the owner of the Glencoe hostelry which has the sign "Campbells not welcome" admits that the sign is only "there for the tourists"!! My father-in-law, (a Mr Campbell!) stayed there, signed in, and was made as welcome as any other guest!

from Steff W: Ex-Member (deleted:celticquester) on Wed 11/02/09 17:05

Rob, the "Bubble-Buster"... at it again! ;-)

Glad to know that past hatreds are a non-issue in the present!!

However, while I know they're UNREALISTIC, my notions of Scotland's past are ROMANTIC and HEROIC!! At least, those are the things I like to focus on... not the terrible wars or hatred between clans and others.

I think I'll stay in my "Happy Bubble," despite your best efforts to burst it! haha!! :-)

from Rob W: Ex-Member (deleted:macsunday) on Wed 11/02/09 17:08

Very interesting link, Phil.

By the way, clanwise, i'm sure "the children of the mist" have more reason than any to bear grudges from the Fire And Sword times, but any sensible person can live in the present.

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos on Wed 11/02/09 19:37

Yeah! Our NAME was proscribed! But what the hell! The 'children of the mist' are now again permitted to call ourselves 'MacGregor'. Trouble is, most of us have been through 6 or 7 generations of using a different surname. So the proscription HAS diluted our clan - as far as surname is concerned! Even Rob-Roy ended up as Robert Campbell (coincidentally, the same name as the 'captain' that enforced the 'massacre' at Glencoe!!)

It's in the HEART that a clansman knows his blood, his kin, and his country!

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Wed 11/02/09 19:47

Clan tents here enjoy a spirited mock rivalry mostly to keep alive the old stories and legends. It is true that the Buchanan tent down in Georgia has a small starters canon that it aims at the MacFarlands and lacking them the Campbells, but its all done in fun. At the end of the day we are all in the beer tent sharing a pint.

As I like to say: The MacIntosh have apples, the Campbells a pretty bad soup, the McDonalds (sic) a really bad hamburger, and the Buchanans have a deluxe whisky - now which clan do you want to belong to?

People like to hear about the old rivalries and feuds but no one takes them seriously, anymore than they do the Hatfields and McCoys (who were Ulster Scots by the way).

On trips to Loch Lomond and Stirlingshire, I do have to say that both my brother and I observed signs of vandalism on Campbell headstones. But I can't say how old it was or if it was just some young delinquents doing the handiwork.

tick 2

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos on Wed 11/02/09 20:01

On my FATHER'S side, I'm a MacDonald (Clan Ranald), my wife's a Campbell. I love her dearly - enough said!

Hells bells, if I can forgive the traitors who sold their nation for English gold (that apparently they never actually got paid!!!), (http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow_union.htm), surely I can forgive those others of clan warfare, who knew not what they did! Christ forgave Judas.

On the other hand, I'm not absolutely convinced I DO forgive the 'bankers' that sold their country in 1705-1707! HEY! What goes around comes around! The 'bankers' have just done it again! WILL WE EVER LEARN???

from Steve J: Grace is undeserved favor! Thank you!^^^ (weebitdaft) photos on Wed 11/02/09 21:41

quickfind:celticquester > "Glad to know that past hatreds are a non-issue in the present!!"

Depends on whether or not it is between Scots, or Scots and English. When we first visited Scotland in 1999 there was a member in our party that is an Elliott. We spent one night in Carlisle. The B&B owner didn't want to let our Elliott friend stay in his house. He finally allowed it after we discussed it for a while. He also didn't want to accept our credit card because it had an Irish celtic cross on the front. This man had some issues ;-)

from Rob W: Ex-Member (deleted:macsunday) on Wed 11/02/09 22:17

Issues!?

Gee Whiz, what a nut!

They get proud don't they, i once had to leave a guest hoose in Scotland for carrying boots upstairs - i explained i had newspaper to sit them on, but old Crankie MacCrank said i was to leave them doonstairs and that was it! =Get Oot!

from Trevor P (cellardyke) member photos on Thu 12/02/09 14:02

There is always good natured ragging between the Clans at Games and Gatherings.
    The Clans in South Australia always support each other's functions and annual dinners etc.
    One of the funniest episodes of last year happened at our MacLeod dinner when the Jeannie Kelso a well known harpist and soprano set up her harp right next to a table of Campbells and innocently struck up 'The Glencoe Massacre'
    Those at the MacDonald table were hard pressed to contain their mirth while the Campbells were somewhat abashed.
    ( appalled would be a better description ). The rest of us did our best to politely listen to the singer while trying to keep straight faces. Jeannie kept on singing even though she detected an undercurrent of hilarity.

If you have Lamont ancestors ( and I have ), just read your history and find out what the Campbells did to them.
    Robert Campbell of Glenlyon was in charge of the troops sent to Glencoe. He did not know why he was there until he received his sealed orders on the night of the massacre, and it was made plain to him that failure to carry out these orders would be tantamount to treason. What was he supposed to do ? Campbell was also kin to MacIan's wife.
    Things are never as clear cut as they appear. When returning from Sherriffmuir MacIan and his clansmen ravaged the lands of Campbell of Glenlyon, driving off his cattle and assaulting his milkmaids.
    Then again The Campbells of Glenlyon fought at Culloden alongside the Raasay MacLeods for Charles Edward Stuart
    The history of the clans is a long and convoluted story with many twists and turns.

from Will B: Clan MacBean in lovely East Tennessee (will273) photos on Fri 13/02/09 03:22

Based on my knowledge of Campbells and MacDonalds, I have to lean toward the MacDonalds because I like cheeseburgers better than soup.

tick 1

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos online on Fri 13/02/09 06:10

quickfind:cellardyke > "There is always good natured ragging between the Clans at Games and Gatherings."

The fellow who runs the Campbell tent at festivals and clan gatherings in my area usually has a number of cans of soup on display; They have been relabeled with new labels in an excellent imitation of the Campbell's soup labels, but these are "Cream of MacDonald".

from Trevor P (cellardyke) member photos on Fri 13/02/09 06:50

Perhaps the MacDonalds can have a few Campbellburgers ( with fries ).

from Alison F: Ex-Member (deleted:crystaldawn) on Sun 15/02/09 22:12

as I have Campbell blood mixed in with a whole lot of other clan blood then perhaps I can say I have never come accross Campbell v MacDonald resentment . I have even attended the commemoration in Glencoe.

from Gerri L: Ex-Member (deleted:gerri_the_dutch) on Sun 15/02/09 22:15

quickfind:cellardyke > "Perhaps the MacDonalds can have a few Campbellburgers ( with fries )."

Campbell has soup, or no?

from Gerri L: Ex-Member (deleted:gerri_the_dutch) on Sun 15/02/09 22:18
    from Alison F: Ex-Member (deleted:crystaldawn) on Mon 16/02/09 14:57

braw teckly when its cauld.....lol

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos on Mon 16/02/09 15:42

Campbells soup is excellent! Many of them are condensed and make a delicious base for a sauce! Cream of tomato is especially good poured over belly pork and onions - not too watery!

tick 1

from Gerri L: Ex-Member (deleted:gerri_the_dutch) on Mon 16/02/09 17:01

Here's for you Phil :-))

from Raymond B (raybell_scot) photos on Mon 16/02/09 18:38

Actually the whole Campbells vs MacDonalds thing annoys me - why?

Because there were plenty of other such feuds, which were just as bad, which no one ever talks about anymore. The MacDonalds had a big spat going with the MacLeods and several other clans too. The Campbell/MacDonald thing has had more famous write-ups - in English. In Gaidhlig poetry, there are accounts of dozens of such clan feuds.

That said, I have both Campbells and MacDonalds in my ancestry. It means that sometimes I try to beat myself up in my sleep.

from Raymond B (raybell_scot) photos on Mon 16/02/09 18:40

"now which clan do you want to belong to?"

Well, Bells is a pretty crap whisky, a telephone company, and a helicopter manufacturer.

Clan MacMillan on the other hand, has quite a good encyclopedia.

from Raymond B (raybell_scot) photos on Mon 16/02/09 19:40

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/bloodlines/mcdonald.htm

"The McDonald family was a Scottish clan that was part of Druidism. Many of the McDonald have gone on to serve Christ"

Erm, I think most people in these islands, the Celtic countries, and most of continental Europe have links to Druidism.

Apart from that, it's also the most common name in Scotland - not Smith - because of all the variants including Donald(son), McWhannell, O' Donnell/McDonell (the Irish versions) etc and possibly McConnell.

So I guess my MacDonald ancestry, plus the dodgy Campbells, and my Merovingian bloodline would make me a full blown part of the conspiracy. Like most of Europe... and Margo MacDonald.

from Rob W: Ex-Member (deleted:macsunday) on Mon 16/02/09 22:36

Don't forget your uncle, Trevor MacDonald!

from Elaine S (elainefromtexas) on Tue 17/02/09 02:22

True Story: A friend, who is married to a retired Baylor University American history professor, Stan Campbell, was sitting wiith her husband on a bus in Edinburgh when an elderly woman demanded to know if there were any Campbells aboard. When she heard that they were, she refused to get on the bus. Since one of my great grandmothers is a McDonald, my friend and I both had a laugh over this incident.

from Trevor P (cellardyke) member photos on Tue 17/02/09 04:44

True story; my friend Stella Allison used to take her holidays on Skye every year when she was at school. Over the years she struck up a passing acquaintance with the ferrymen. They would joke and pass the journey in conversation.
    After a few years one of them asked her surname to which she replied "Campbell".
    The ferryman turned his back, spat over the side and never spoke to her again.
    Although we are talking about the early 1950's here these attituds still exist in some parts, and I guess they always will.
    Ironically, she married a ClanRanald MacDonald.
    Funny old world.

Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3 next

This topic has no tags.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: