A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Looking For English -> Scots Gaelic Translation

quickfind:7695

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish Languages' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Looking for English -> Scots Gaelic translation
    from Rory P (nightwyrm) photos on Wed 12/12/12 22:29

Hi all

I'm looking for a translation of the inspiration for my soul for a tattoo idea I have (it's a line from my wedding vows).

Having a nose around, I think it's along the vein of brosnachadh do m'anam for Scots, but I'm don't know anything about the correct grammar/tense/etc. If it helps, my wife's the "inspiration" (as in encouragement, motivation) so I guess it should be feminine and genitive?

Thanks
    Rory

Re: Looking for English -> Scots Gaelic translation
    from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Thu 13/12/12 06:20

"brosnachadh do m'anam" is good grammar, one of the fairly rare circumstances in which a word-for-word translation from English to Gaelic makes sense. It works because it is a very short sentence fragment.

"brosnachadh" is a masculine noun, and will remain so even when it is used to refer to something feminine, such as your wife. You could say "Is ise am brosnachadh do m'anam" - "She is the inspiration for my soul". (Note that you would not be able to construct that sentence by doing a word-for-word translation.)

"brosnachadh" would only take the genitive form "brosnachaidh" if it were being used to to modify another noun.

from Rory P (nightwyrm) photos on Thu 13/12/12 07:01

Thanks for that, David. Is "am" the correct word for "the" if I use that as the first word, or should I use the shortened version of "an" e.g. a' brosnachadh?

Also, I have had "an dearg-bhrosnachadh airson m' anama" suggested, though I'm not as sure on that one. (is there a space after the m' ?)

Thanks again

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Thu 13/12/12 09:49

The basic root form of the definite article is "an". The exact details of variations depend on the gender of the following noun and the situation in which the noun is used in the sentence.

"brosnachadh" is a masculine noun. In the nominative case, as seen in the example that I used, the definite article becomes "am", because "brosnachadh" stars with a "b". This change occurs when the masculine nominative noun starts with "b", "f", "m", or "p", because in each of these four circumstances you can finish the pronunciation of the "m" and move directly into the articulation of "b", "f", "m", or "p" without moving your lips - all four of the sounds represented by these letters are articulated with the lips. It is easier to say it this way, so that is what is done. The abbreviated form "a'" will never be used in the nominative case for a masculine noun.

In the dative case, also known as the prepositional case, the rules are different. (The dative case now only appears in Gaelic when a noun follows a preposition.) The dative definite article works the same way for both masculine and feminine nouns, and follows the same rules used for feminine nouns in the nominative case. If you look up these rules in any of the commonly-used educational materials for learning Gaelic, you will see a huge, mind-boggling list of rules that on first sight make no coherent sense whatsoever, and this is the point at which many people abandon the attempt to learn the language. This is because the producers of these materials are thinking in patterns drilled into their brains by English. They assume that the written word and the letters of the alphabet are the primary base and source of language, and this is not true of Gaelic at all. If you want to understand how to use the definite article in Gaelic, you must think like a person who is totally illiterate and has no concept of a letter, an alphabet, or any idea that a written letter can be read to produce a sound. The rules depend entirely on the anatomy of speech. Gaelic must be learned by ear, not by eye.

If you try to learn the definite article by eye, the rules are so meaningless that you must learn the definite article individually for each letter which could possibly start a Gaelic noun, which is any of the 18 letters that Gaelic uses, so you have 18 rules to learn. It you do it by ear, the rule set is much smaller, and only two of them apply to words starting with "b".

The first rule is to drop the trailing "n" from the basic definite article "an" and to soften the leading consonant of the following noun. This is the origin of the shortened form. The softened form of the consonant is spelled by inserting an "h" after the consonant, which shows that the original consonant sound is replaced by a new one, related but different.

The other rule states that if you can say the n-sound at the end of the basic definite article and then move into the sound of the following consonant without moving your tongue away from the n-position, then do that, and ignore the first rule.

For example, if you wanted to say "at the beginning", you take the word for "at", which is "aig", follow that with "an", the definite article, and then the word for "beginning", which is "toiseach". This gives you "aig an toiseach".

The first rule says that you should convert this to "aig a' thoiseach".

The second rule says "Don't do that - it's easier to leave is just as it was, because you can finish up the definite article with the n-sound and move right into the t-sound without moving your tongue at all - The starting tongue position for a t-sound is the same one that ends an n-sound. Just say it the easiest way." The final result is thus "aig an toiseach".

If we want to say "with the inspiration", we can start with the form of "with" that is used in front of the definite article: "leis". Follow that with the definite article, and then with "inspiration", which is "brosnachadh". This produces "leis an brosnachadh".

The first rule converts this to "leis a' bhrosnachadh".

So what does the second rule do? If you say an n-sound, you cannot move to the b-sound without moving your tongue away from the n-position, so we stay with the first rule, and the correct phrase is then the one that the first rule produces: "leis a' bhrosnachadh".

There is actually only one arbitrary rule, and it applies only to nouns that start with "s". It is arbitrary in the modern Gaelic because it depends on a version of the definite article that no longer exists in the modern language. All of the other rules make sense if you think about speech as something formed by the anatomy of the mouth, lips, and tongue. This concept doesn't apply to just the definite article, it goes through the entire language. Learn it by ear, and remember that the ear hears what the anatomy produces.

from Rory P (nightwyrm) photos on Fri 14/12/12 01:52

Wow, what a minefield! Takes me back to the year of Latin I did years ago.

Thanks for all your help -- it's much appreciated.

from Anthony B (tonyb6870) on Thu 10/01/13 23:05

Hello, could someone help me with a translation?
    I want to translate ' bridge over troubled water'. It's a Simon and garfunckel song.

Thanks

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Sun 13/01/13 04:17

"bridge over troubled water"

can be translated as

"drochaid thar uisge an-fhoiseil"

from Anthony B (tonyb6870) on Wed 16/01/13 16:07

Many thanks.

I had drochaid thar Buair uisge.

What does that translate to?

Thanks again

from Ellen M (mackell5) photos on Thu 17/01/13 02:19

If anyone could help with a translation of 'It goes on' to Scottish Gaelic it would be appreciated. Specifically Highland Gaelic if possible, not sure how any dialect differ to be honest as I am from Canada. I'm fairly certain the word 'goes' is not translatable... So if there is anything close to this it would be great. Thanks.

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Thu 17/01/13 05:45

quickfind:tonyb6870 > "I had drochaid thar Buair uisge."

"buair" is a verb, and would not fit here for that reason. It covers a broader range of meanings than the English verb "to trouble". It covers concepts described in English as allure , tempt, vex, annoy, distract, molest, pester, disconcert, provoke, trouble, etc. Just as in English, a Gaelic verb can be turned into a past participle which can be used as an adjective: "to trouble" -> "troubled". In Gaelic, the similar transformation is "buair" -> "buairte", so you could say "drochaid thar uisge buairte".

Note that in Gaelic, the adjective (usually) follows the noun, and that is another reason why "buair uisge" is not right.

There are several other Gaelic words that could be used here. I used "an-fhoiseil" because it seems to me to best fit the mood of the Simon & Garfunkel song. It means something like "restless, troubled, uneasy, disturbed, without peace or tranquility"

tick 1

from Heather Jean T: Hello my new friends :) (skye2020) photos on Sun 20/01/13 00:09

How did I get so faithful to my freedom, a selfish kind of life.

Translation?

from Heather L (heather373) on Fri 25/01/13 22:37

Hi,

Could anybody help me please. I'm looking for a translation for

What's meant for you won't pass you by.

Any help would be much appreciated.

from Renessa E (24thmarch92) on Thu 28/03/13 05:33

While you're translating, how about helping out with mine??
    Are these translations correct?? :)

Màthair Mother
    Athair Father
    Bràithrean Brothers
    Piuthar Sister
    Teaghlach Family

from Michelle L (k1w1ml) on Tue 11/06/13 22:06

Kia ora from NZ

I would much appreciate assistance in translating the phrase 'A little more each day' from English into Scots Gaelic, if possible.

Arohanui and many thanks.

This topic's tags: gaelic, languages, translation.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: