A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

How To Say "Grandpa" In Scottish Gaelic

quickfind:7217

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish Languages' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

How to say "Grandpa" in Scottish Gaelic
    from Bob A: Alaskan by location, Scotsman by heart (invicusmaneo) on Sat 16/06/12 00:16

Good day,

Can anyone tell me how to say "Grandpa" in Scottish Gaelic and the proper way to pronounce it?

My 1st grandson was born today and I want him to call me Grandpa in true Scottish Gaelic.

Thank you!

Re: How to say 'Grandpa' in Scottish Gaelic
    from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Sat 16/06/12 00:53

The word you want is "seanair". You won't be able to get the pronunciation by trying to read that with English pronunciation rules.

Probably the best way to get to the proper pronunciation is through a series of successive approximations.

Step 1. Start with the English word "sinner"

Step 2. Say "sinner" again, but this time, the tip of your tongue should touch the back of your upper front teeth when saying the "nn" in the middle of the word. Say it that way through all the remaining steps.

Step 3. Change the s into an sh, producing a nonsense word which rhymes with the real word in step 1: "shinner"

Step 4. Broaden the sound of the vowel in the first syllable of the new word in Step 2. It should be about halfway in between the sound of the e in "bet" and the sound of the a in "bat". You now have "grandpa/grandfather" in Gaelic.

Like most Gaelic words, the accent is on the first syllable, but you will have that right if you start with "sinner", which already has the accent on the first syllable. Just keep it there as you work through the four steps.

from Liz D (elisabeth) photos on Sat 16/06/12 06:42

Well Bob, I think it will be a while before you teach that to your new grandson. Congratulations to you and the new bairn. :-)

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Sat 16/06/12 18:10

I forgot to mention something that should have gone into Step 2: when saying the final r-sound at the end of the word, the tip of your tongue should extend further forward than it does for any English r-sound - almost to the back of your upper front teeth. This will give the r a weak sound. Many English speakers will not hear this as an r-sound, but Gaelic speakers will hear it.

Gaelic has quite as lot of phonetic structure that doesn't exist in English at all; it is very much a learn-by-ear language. It's not difficult to learn it, but it does require a learner just starting with the language to pay very careful attention to the details of words, both when hearing them and when pronouncing them.

from Bob A: Alaskan by location, Scotsman by heart (invicusmaneo) on Mon 18/06/12 21:22

David,

Thank you so much for your very detailed response. You'd probably get quite a kick out of seeing me practicing how to say "seanair." LOL!

In very nontechnical terms, the word I am saying sounds like "shayn-neah" with my tongue against my front teeth for the n's , just as instructed.

In reading your steps, including the addition, I think I have it right, but it would be awesome to hear an actual Scotsman say it just to make sure.
    I'm going through netflix and searching for movies made in Scotland to see if I might be able to pick up a line or two.

Thank you again for your very kind, highly detailed, and fast response.

I think I am going to love this forum!

Scotland forever!

- Bob

from Bob A: Alaskan by location, Scotsman by heart (invicusmaneo) on Mon 18/06/12 21:26

Thank you Liz, but one cannot be over-prepared for something like this. With David's kind tutoring, I am planning on introducing the word "seanair" to my grandson as soon as I can hold him. That won't be until next month because my daughter, son in law, and wee bairn are in North Carolina and I am in Alaska. I am counting the days.

Thank you so much for your response.

If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to post a photo, I'd be happy to show you all what the little scrapper looks like. He is beautiful beyond description.

- Bob

from Liz D (elisabeth) photos on Tue 19/06/12 00:30

Bob, at the top of the page click on "MY STUFF", a list will drop down, click on "EDIT PROFILE", On the side of the page you will find a list, go down to "EDIT PHOTOS" and follow the directions. It is very simple.

BTW I lived in Alaska for s few years, a long time ago.

from David G: Texas Gael (texasgaidheal) photos on Tue 19/06/12 03:58

Forget netflix; you can hear a scotsman using the word "seanair" several times at this link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/learngaelic/anlitirbheag/index.shtml?link=130

This opens a page intended for people learning Gaelic; there is a link to an mp3 file and a pdf with the text of the audio file.

from Bob A: Alaskan by location, Scotsman by heart (invicusmaneo) on Tue 19/06/12 22:19

David,

Thank you once again. Yes, I distinctly heard "seanair" twice in the same sentence about 2/3 through the recording. I think I've got it right!

You rock!

- Bob

from Bob A: Alaskan by location, Scotsman by heart (invicusmaneo) on Tue 19/06/12 22:27

Liz,

If I did it right there should be two photos of me wee bairn, Giovanni, in my photos section.

Ah yes... The day you left Alaska, all the men cried a river. Then we went fishing in it!!! LOL

Cheers,

- Bob

from Liz D (elisabeth) photos on Tue 19/06/12 22:38

Bob,

It takes Ben a while before he gets the pictures in your album. But I think you will be out of luck, pictures of children aren't accepted. :(

As to that river.... I hope you caught plenty of salmon in it. LOL

Liz

from Bob A: Alaskan by location, Scotsman by heart (invicusmaneo) on Wed 20/06/12 00:26

I understand and support why Ben might limit photos of children.

If we have a puddle that lasts more than a week, salmon manage to find it.

=D

from Liz D (elisabeth) photos on Wed 20/06/12 00:30

I lLOVED that fresh salmon, the stuff in the stores doesn't compare.

I am sorry that I won't get to see your little grandson, but rules are rules. Better safe than sorry.

from Eoin R: Ex-Member (deleted:irishspuddozer) on Tue 26/06/12 01:58

In irish it is seanathair fada on the i

cross 1

This topic has no tags.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: