A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Macdonald & The Wilkinson Family Name.

quickfind:2531

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish Genealogy and Ancestry' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Macdonald & the Wilkinson family name.
    from Nathaniel W: Alba Gu Brath! (nrwilkinson1746) on Tue 19/05/09 16:03

I know from my study and reading that Wilkinson is a recognized sept to the Macdonald clan. I trace my Wilkinson family name back to a Lawrence Wilkinson(1640) who fought on the Royalist side (Charles I) and was captured and held by the forces of Cromwell. Lawrence Wilkinson was captured at the battle of Newcastle and was later released and sent to Rhodes Island. But I cannot find any papers, histories which explains when and how the Wilkinson family was accepted into the listings of septs to the Macdonald Clan. Was it by military service, treaty or by marriage?

Nathaniel Wilkinson

Re: Macdonald & the Wilkinson family name.
    from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Tue 19/05/09 19:01

The Clan Donald claims the Wilkinson's who lived on the island of Islay and in Kintyre which were traditional areas controlled by the clan.

They do not claim the Wilkinsons from Lanarkshire or Midlothian.

David

from Raymond B (raybell_scot) photos on Tue 19/05/09 22:18

I would have thought it was a variant of Williamson or MacWilliam...

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Tue 19/05/09 23:22

Close Ray - Patronymic version of Wilken which is a Norman diminutive of Will - short of course for William. But not a Williamson or MacWilliam.

from Nathaniel W: Alba Gu Brath! (nrwilkinson1746) on Wed 20/05/09 15:26

I have seen the name as Macquilkin. I believe from my research this is how it was pronunced and spelled for the sept members.

from Raymond B (raybell_scot) photos on Wed 20/05/09 18:59

I'm sceptical of a lot of these claims in so called clan societies.

The Gaidhlig for Wilkinson, Williamson, Wilson and MacWilliam is MacUilleim. Go figure...

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Wed 20/05/09 20:39

quickfind:raybell_scot > "I'm sceptical of a lot of these claims in so called clan societies."

So very true, they have to be approached with an open mind. I know my own family name of Watt is diminutive for Walter. Now how many Walters do you suppose were called Watt or Wattie and how many were actually members of the Buchanan Clan? Several clans claim the name and unless you know where your family came from geographically (often very hard to do) you may never know for sure. I'm fortunate that I know with certainty so I'm comfortable. Besides my Grandmother always said we are part of the clan and who is brave enough to doubt their Granny?

I do know that the Clan Donald Society is one of the tougher ones to gain entry to. They require fairly certain proof of where your family came from. If you've got $25.00 cash money I'll let you join my clan! :-)

from Raymond B (raybell_scot) photos on Wed 20/05/09 20:59

I notice that MacWilliam is not even listed as its own clan, in spite of the fact that it was the royal house of Moray, and a better claim to be a dynasty than many a "clan"!

p.s. MacMilllan and Bell - there's an argument you don't want to get into. You'll notice I have BOTH badges on my page!!!

This topic has no tags.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: