A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Family Name Grant - Where To Start?

quickfind:1919

Postings on this topic in the 'Everything Scottish: Scottish Genealogy and Ancestry' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Family name Grant - where to start?
    from Cheryl W (ccw68) on Sat 21/02/09 19:25

Does anyone know how I could find out what clan my ancestors were from? Grant is our family name so I am assuming we are decendants of Clan Grant. However, I have recently learned that it can also depend on what area of Scotland our ancestors were from. I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions???

Re: Family name Grant - where to start?
    from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Sat 21/02/09 21:07

First visit the Clan Grant Society web site - it will give you the history. Grant is a Chief's name so in my opinion all with that name belong to the Clan Grant.

This is taken from their website.

"Today, those of a given clan surname give their loyalty to the clan of that name, whether or not their ancestors may have lived in some other region of Scotland, and whether or not their loyalty may have been to some chief other than that of their given surname's associated clan name. Thus all of the surname "Grant" are "Grants", meaning they belong to "Clan Grant", and the Chief of Grant is their recognized chief, even though historically their Grant ancestor may have been living on the lands of, for instance, the Gordons, or the Frasers, and would have actually given his allegiance to their Chief. "

Good hunting and STAND FAST!

David B. FSA Scot

tick 1

from Charles B: Clan Grant Society - USA (scotslad) member photos on Mon 23/02/09 16:23

You might try searching some Clan information through either myclan.com or electricscotland.com. However these sites are more general with information for history rather than genealogy. I would suggest you check Census records for the area you live in, or know where your parents, grandparents, and great grandparents lived. These oftimes give more information that you'd think of. Then check for Birth, Marriage, and Death records according to the Counties that you find listed for your heritage from the Census reports.
    Good luck !!

Stand Fast - Craigellachie

Charles.B

tick 1

from Kathie P: Gleans Anything Scottish (terrier) photos on Mon 23/02/09 23:53

I belong to The Grant Clan USA. My grandmother Mary Grant was born in Aberdeen. I would like to exchange some info the names of my great grandfather's siblings and the ship's name that my Grandma and her mother ,sister and brother came over on.
    Kathie

tick 1

from Charles B: Clan Grant Society - USA (scotslad) member photos on Tue 24/02/09 00:07

Whits a chance ?? My Great Granny was a Mary Grant (nee) too. She came from the Forres, Elgin area in Morayshire. Moved to South Leith where she married Joseph Burton , a Pvt in the 21st Hussars. About a month after marriage, he was marched off to embark to India for the Omdursman battles, and was never heard from again. So Gt Granny returned to Forres to be near her folk. She became a Dress maker to support herself and children. We saw the shop where she used to be housed in a flat over the store. It was quite a thrill to locate it, see it was still tenanted, and in good repair. Mary Grant Burton's son, my Grandfather after whom I was named ( in true Scottish fashion ) emigrated to Canada, and wound up traveling across the nation to British Columbia.

tick 1

from Elaine S (elainefromtexas) on Thu 26/02/09 03:35

I belong to Ancestry.com, so if you are an American and would like me to look up some information on your Grants on the US side of the Pond, I'll be glad to see what I can find.

from Cheryl W (ccw68) on Sat 28/02/09 19:05

That would be great except that I really don't have any information that would be useful just yet.

My Father's name was James Scott Grant and his only sibling is Benjamine Scott Grant. Their mother (my grandmother) was Lillian Landon and married to their father (my grand father) Walter Scott Grant. We know that their grandfather came over to Dundee Michigan from Dundee Scotland but we have no other information as of yet. Many years ago we were invited to a Clan Grant Family Reunion in Scotland but were unable to attend because of the high cost of travel and having such a large family. My mother says that she didn't keep the invitation, which I believe would have been very useful right about now. My uncle Ben (only sibling of my father) is getting up there in age and cannot remember any information of his grandparents so I am essentially starting from scratch. Any information you have on how I can search for information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the reply!

from Cheryl W (ccw68) on Sat 28/02/09 19:09

This is GREAT! Here's what I know, which I'm afraid isn't very much so far.

My Father's name was James Scott Grant, born on 10-10-36 in Detroit, Michigan, USA and his only sibling is Benjamine Scott Grant. Their mother (my grandmother) was Lillian Landon and married to their father (my grand father) Walter Scott Grant of Dundee Michigan. We know that their grandfather came over to Dundee Michigan from Dundee Scotland but we have no other information as of yet. Many years ago we were invited to a Clan Grant Family Reunion in Scotland but were unable to attend because of the high cost of travel and having such a large family. My mother says that she didn't keep the invitation, which I believe would have been very useful right about now. My uncle Ben (only sibling of my father) is getting up there in age and cannot remember any information of his grandparents so I am essentially starting from scratch. Any information you have on how I can search for information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the reply!

from Cheryl W (ccw68) on Sat 28/02/09 19:12

That would be great! This is what I know, which is not too much as of yet.

My Father's name was James Scott Grant, born on 10-10-36 in Detroit, Michigan) and his only sibling is Benjamine Scott Grant. Their mother (my grandmother) was Lillian Landon and married to their father (my grand father) Walter Scott Grant. We know that their grandfather came over to Dundee Michigan from Dundee Scotland but we have no other information as of yet. Many years ago we were invited to a Clan Grant Family Reunion in Scotland but were unable to attend because of the high cost of travel and having such a large family. My mother says that she didn't keep the invitation, which I believe would have been very useful right about now. My uncle Ben (only sibling of my father) is getting up there in age and cannot remember any information of his grandparents so I am essentially starting from scratch. Any information you have on how I can search for information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for the reply!

from Valerie M: SCOTLAND THE WHAT. (whitevan) photos on Wed 04/03/09 14:48

hi
    I belong to grantown on spey in the scotish highlands,i took on a very intense history project on the above mentioned,the project for me was to find out how grantown started, I will gladly tell you what i learned do youknow your history from about 1750 and if you did i have a very interesting story.
    in anticipation billy.

from Charles B: Clan Grant Society - USA (scotslad) member photos on Wed 04/03/09 17:14

Cheryl... Do you know WHEN your ancestor came from Dundee? If you have a year, give or take a few, you might search out his name on ships that arrived from Scotland during that year. The URL is: www.cyndislist.com/ships.htm Do a copy and paste in your search bar, and you may be able to locate the passenger list for your relative. Also, search for Marriage/Death Records of Dundee Michigan. This may give you the name of your Grandfather, and His parents. Check Census Records for the time period you think your Grandfather lived in Dundee, Michigan and it may surprise you what you find. Once you have some 'concrete' dates, and names, you might consider visiting your local Mormon church and find out if they have a Library which will allow you to search the microfilms they have available for public use. Good Luck !! I know it is a long slow process !!
    Best regards, Charles.B

from Valerie M: SCOTLAND THE WHAT. (whitevan) photos on Fri 06/03/09 22:44

hi
    was the grant family gathering you were invited to by any chance in a place called nethy bridge in the highlands of scotland. ITS really just to let you know that there is a clan gathering there every year annually in august.it is known as the clan grant gathering its a fairly grand affair, I lived about 4 miles from the vallage ,its a tiny highland village but an excellent highland games day im not certain but think the event is the second saturday in august and if you want i can find the date for sure for you.I belonged to a place called GRANTOWN ON SPEY where the chiefs of grant had a castle.I have looked into the history of grantown on spey and if you ever can get back to 1750 to 1800 and you were a grant from that area I have studied that timeand think you would really need to go there to go that far back there are some excellent reference books in the library in grantown on spey .Hope this is of some help to you.
    I would be interested in what you have learned of your family. billy.

from Kathie P: Gleans Anything Scottish (terrier) photos on Thu 12/03/09 02:05

My great grandfather was George Grant born December 4, 1878 at 123 Barron St. Woodside Aberdeen his parents were James Grant and Jane (Brebner) Grant. My great grandmother Mary Ann ( Barron) Grant was born April 7, 1880 in Buxburn Newhills her parents were William Barron and Mary Ann (Bruce) Barron. My grandmother had 2 siblings Margaret and James Grant. Great grandma Mary Ann, my grandma Mary, Margaret and James came to the United States on The USS Franconia in 1913. Great Grandfather George emmigrated 1907 to Montello, Wisconsin. He had siblings James, Margaret occupation Wincey Weaver, , William, a Lettmaker, Charles a Wool Millworker and Mary a Wincey Worker all listed at Old Machar Aberdeen.Can anyone tell me about those occupations? Margaret and James my great Aunt and Uncle didn't have children and my father was an only surviving child. I have no known relatives other than my brothers and sister on my father's side. I'd enjoy finding out if I did have Grant relatives . I do have a newspaper article that my great grandfather and his brother Charles had a reunion after not seeing each other for 50 years I believe he settled in the New England area. Kathie

from Charles B: Clan Grant Society - USA (scotslad) member photos on Thu 12/03/09 16:12

A Wincey Weaver, was a person whom took the cotton thread and "started" the bobbin in a thread mill, such as Coates & Clark. The bobbins were then filled with the thread, cut, boxed and shipped. My maternal grandmother worked for the Coates & Clark Thread Mill in Larkhall, Lanarkshire. The women were usually the Wincey Weaver, and the boys ( young lads) who set the bobbins onto the spindles to receive the threads were "Bobbin Tenders". I had a Great great uncle that did this job.

An interesting site to search out old occupations of Scots in years past is on-line. Look up: http://www.scotsfamily.com/occupations.html and you'll be able to find the listing alphabetically.

Hope this helps somewhat...
    Best Regards ... Charles.B

Aberdeen
    from Misty R: The Scottish Faery (scottish.faery) photos on Sun 22/03/09 04:18

Which Aberdeen are you referring to ?? Maryland - North Carolina - or over seas

Misty

This topic's tags: geneology.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: