A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Does The Full Moon Affect People?

quickfind:6622

Postings on this topic in the 'Science & Nature: Natural World' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Does the full moon affect people?
    from Saundra R (sam) photos on Sun 18/09/11 04:04

I work at a homeless shelter and alot of the clients are either active in addictions or suffer from mental illness. We got discussing at work the other day ( last full moon infact) whether or not there is any validity to that theory and I got to wondering what experience the other 'Scotsters" had on the subject and what y'all thought.

Re: Does the full moon affect people?
    from John H (johnny_boy_one) photos on Sun 18/09/11 04:19

I have had family that worked in emergency rooms and about 10 friends that were police officers on second and third shifts. Any one of them will testify that those are the craziest nights of the month...can you prove it?....just ride with one of them on a full moon....I did and you will never convince me differently...no matter how many books you show me....JAH

tick 2

from Wesley A: Highland Athlete (wesleykallen) photos on Sun 18/09/11 05:32

I work for a 911 dispatch center. Full moons have no effect on how dumb people will be. there are now and always will be crazy people. The moon does not change that. I say NO.

tick 1

cross 1

from Marion D (dixie) photos on Sun 18/09/11 05:46

I say Yes.When i can't sleep at night I switch on Talkback radio (Newstalk ZB).Fine except for full moon nights...They all come out-then some wacky and weird and wonky conversations.

from Tina C (tina) photos on Sun 18/09/11 11:07

i work in mental health nursing and the full moon definitely does affect people, never like working a late or a night shift on a full moon night...

tick 1

from Sheila J (sheila_davis76) photos on Sun 18/09/11 12:09

Absolutely. The moon has a direct effect on our planet and as a result all life forms that reside on it as well, including (you guessed it) human beings. We are not unique in that we resist one of the strongest forces our planet experiences. It would be somewhat arrogant to think that we are resistant to any force of nature. We are a part of it.

tick 1

from Leslie T: Here's ma haund - here's ma hert. (lord_learmonth) photos on Sun 18/09/11 12:19

It is not called "lunacy" for nothing. The official line is that the moon's cycles have no effect on human behaviour. Yet of the three police officers I know, each will tell you that they absolutely do. Simiilarily I have done bar work in my time and things always got a bit nuttier at full moons.

The way I see it is given that the human body is mostly water and our brains float in a skull full of fluid, the pull of the moon must have an effect upon that, an effect that those more sensitive to it experience more than others and manifests itself in odd, eccentric and sometimes violent behaviour.

from Teresa H: Ex-Member (deleted:tharri76) on Sun 18/09/11 19:42

I howl... LOL

tick 1

from Loopy Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:loopylori) on Sun 18/09/11 21:05

I definitely think it does. The moon has a huge pull on the Earth and it has been proven to affect the tides. Studies have also shown that it affects women's monthly cycles and more murders are commited on nights when there is a full moon. And when you know that 70% of the human body is made of water then it makes sense to assume that the moon also has an effect on the liquid in our bodies because of the pull. Personally I hate doing the karaoke in the pub on nights when there is a full moon because without even noticing until after the event that there is one, I can tell because the atmosphere changes in the pub. We get more strangers in then who are more likely to cause upset with the regulars. And folk just seem a bit more hyper than usual. If there's somebody acting a bit weird I usually ask if there's a full moon out tonight and usually there is.

from Tom C: from North Ayrshire area (didisdad) photos on Sun 18/09/11 21:10

This subject was discussed before in a forum and I,l reiterate what I said then. When I was in my late teen s I worked in a defence establishment. Also working there was a guy who they called the moon man. You could see a definate change in him at the full moon. His eyes especially seemed to get wilder looking and he took on a more aggresive attitude to people. He did not change all at once but it was a gradual thing over, about a week, if I remember right.

tick 1

from Czarli R: just call me charlie! (czarli) photos on Sun 18/09/11 21:23

Think about it this way. The moon's gravity (and how it differs during its different phases) has been directly correlated with the ocean tides. The moon effects the ocean. The moon effects water. Humans are 70% water. So wouldn't it be logical to conclude that the moon effects humans?

I have worked with children and crazy people (I can call them crazy because they are family too) and during the full moon things are just wonky.

So, yes. The moon in it's various phases, including the full moon, does effect us.

tick 2

from Loopy Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:loopylori) on Sun 18/09/11 22:31

Erm, Czarli, didn't I just say all that ? lol . I agree Tom. I had two neighbours who were identical twins and most of the time they were reasonably normal, but they were a bit crazy and had to get injections every 3 months to keep them normal, but if there was a full moon, we could tell right away because they'd suddenly go off their nut for about a week. And there would be absolutely no reasoning with them. Jingso, I wonder whatever happened to them cause that was about 25 years ago. Poor wee wummen.

from Dianne L (kiwime) photos on Sun 18/09/11 22:33

Yip I agree. It affects everything Tides, weather, moods, all have swing abouts at different times of the month

from Loopy Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:loopylori) on Sun 18/09/11 22:39

Wesley, just as a matter of interest, you should take note to see if there are actually more incidents on a night with a full moon or in the lead up to the full moon when it is still waxing. I'm sure it will amaze you that you'll find there are more. I know people are crazy and do crazy things all the time, but I think the moon magnifies the effect on some people. I'd be interested to know what your study results were. :-)

tick 1

from Czarli R: just call me charlie! (czarli) photos on Mon 19/09/11 02:31

"Erm, Czarli, didn't I just say all that ?"

Did you Lori? I skimmed. It's a bad habit I have when I haven't much time. Oh well.

from Czarli R: just call me charlie! (czarli) photos on Mon 19/09/11 02:34

I would be interested to know why the moon has more effect on some people than on others. Like why are children and people with mental disorders effected more than others? Do they have more water in them?

from Wesley A: Highland Athlete (wesleykallen) photos on Mon 19/09/11 02:35

quickfind:loopylori > "Wesley, just as a matter of interest, you should take note to see if there are actually more incidents on a night with a full moon or in the lead up to the full moon when it is still waxing."

I actually looked through our calls. and a calendar to check the moon and as i stated before the calls did not increase. As far as public safety in my county the full moon does not effect people. Weekends and warm weather do. The moon... No. sorry to burst your bubble. But from a law enforcement point of view in my county the moon does nothing.

tick 1

from Sheila J (sheila_davis76) photos on Mon 19/09/11 02:55

Not sure I trust a town full of people who are unaffected by their natural surroundings. ((X Files theme is ringing in my ears all of a sudden...wonder why that is))

tick 1

from Czarli R: just call me charlie! (czarli) photos on Mon 19/09/11 05:33

LOL. Sheila, that would be an awesome episode of X-Files!!!

from Leslie T: Here's ma haund - here's ma hert. (lord_learmonth) photos on Mon 19/09/11 12:13

quickfind:tharri76 > "I howl... LOL"

Best reply on this forum yet. Thanks Teresa Hon. I almost fell of my seat laughing at that one.

quickfind:wesleykallen > "I actually looked through our calls. and a calendar to check the moon and as i stated before the calls did not increase. As far as public safety in my county the full moon does not effect people. Weekends and warm weather do. The moon... No. sorry to burst your bubble. But from a law enforcement point of view in my county the moon does nothing."

Certainly it is a known factor that warm weather does see an increase in violence and the same obviously happens at weekends when most people drink more. But I'm sorry to burst your bubble Wesley but bar staff, bouncers, police officers, firefighters, medical staff and many others who have dealt with the public - including myself and others on here - who have observed the phenomena in actuality all say that the Moon definitely changes some people's behaviour.

tick 4

cross 1

from Saundra R (sam) photos on Thu 22/09/11 22:01

Very interesting I think. Yeah my friends theory was people just talk about full moon more and they watch for things and then they blame it on the full moon. I only think of it when I had ridiculously crazy shifts and it ironically happens to be a day or two before a full moon. Apparently a University in India has done a study on it and it has something to do with the fact that there are more positive ions in the atmosphere. Judges will also be more lenient with crimes committed during a full moon. They dont get away with the crimes but might have a lighter sentence.

This topic has no tags.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: