A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

What Do You Think About Romania?

quickfind:5285

Postings on this topic in the 'World Interest: Eastern Europe' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

What do you think about Romania?
    from Kerne M: Ex-Member (deleted:ecossian) on Mon 09/08/10 00:39

Good or bad , what is your opinion about Romania? Do you have any personal experiences connected to Romania?

Re: What do you think about Romania?
    from Naomi K: Small, Pink & EVIL!!!! (smallpinkandevil1) photos on Mon 09/08/10 03:00

I've been there on skiing holidays 3 times (Poina Brasov) - & I love it! The people are very warm & freindly - and the best ski instructors I've come across!
    The scenery is stunning, the history of the country is fascinating - I'd go back time & again!
    ;0)

from Steff W: Ex-Member (deleted:celticquester) on Mon 09/08/10 10:57

I've never been, but would like to visit one day. From books I've read, it's a beautifully mysterious place with lots of great scenery. The Romanian people I've had the pleasure of meeting were (as Naomi said above) very warm and friendly. :)

from Matt J: Ex-Member (deleted:mccullough) on Mon 09/08/10 19:31

Been there, can't say I liked it much. Something very strange about the place. Give me the heebeejeebees.

from James M: Monty Python's illegitimate child (airforcescot) photos on Tue 10/08/10 04:16

absolutely being a day walker (vampire who can live by day) I want to thank Dracula's mistress for making me this way lol

from Rodger M (rodger_moffet) lifetime member member photos on Wed 11/08/10 11:57

a good friend of mine went on one of the aid convoys that ran from Edinburgh when the Ceauşescu regime collapsed. The black marketeers tried to hijack the convoy which carried the aid including medical supplies and they had to evade them. My friends truck was led through the night by a Romanian doctor evading roadblocks till they got to the local hospital, there they unloaded the truck and hid the supplies in a basement.

The grateful medical staff had nothing to offer in return until the doctor ran off and came back with the hospital's Romanian flag with the centre cut from it (as you will remember removing the Eagle was the protest symbol). He still has the flag, its a great piece of history.

from Amy Jo T: Ex-Member (deleted:amyjo) on Thu 12/08/10 18:37

I've never been. From books and movies, it seems as a very mysterious place to visit. Haunting and romantic maybe... I wouldn't mind going there for a visit. Hopefully, I won't bump into Dracula or any likens.

from Robert A: My Wonderful Life (rogano) photos on Thu 12/08/10 19:49

A very volatile country with a corrupt government , did they not execute one of them a few years back?

from Denisa B: Tartan is a music score with life bonds. (deni_wee_lass) photos on Wed 05/09/12 14:58

Well, i'm Romanian and i like my country as a touristic attraction, the landscapes are breathtaking and most of the people are warm and happy to help. But i do hate something here: passive people, lots of gypsies who are robbing anyone( i've been robbed 2 times). However, it happens in the South more. Transylvania, West, East and North are much better. :)

from John M: Ex-Member (deleted:johnthedivine) photos on Sat 08/09/12 17:33

Denisa, I think you have just put your finger on it. The Romanians that are seen in Europe ( eg. Paris ) are Gypsies and I would not trust one of them as far as I could throw them !

tick 1

from Denisa B: Tartan is a music score with life bonds. (deni_wee_lass) photos on Sat 08/09/12 17:50

I agree with you, John. The gypsies in Europe are mostly Romanian citizens who are ruining our reputation by doing the most abominable things (i think you already know most of these), thus determining most of the people to have a stereotype mindset towards Romanians as people, culture and civilization.

tick 1

from John M: Ex-Member (deleted:johnthedivine) photos on Sat 08/09/12 21:02

Well come on then Denisa, I think you should tell us a little more please.

from Denisa B: Tartan is a music score with life bonds. (deni_wee_lass) photos on Sun 09/09/12 13:56

What would you like to know first, then? I can come up with a bunch of knowledge about Romania, but i'm not sure about what you'd like to find out at first. :)

And about those gypsies, i don't consider them Romanian citizens(unlike our government), they have never worn our national costumes, never danced on Romanian national music and they have the weakest results in school (of course, there are exceptions as well, though rarely). I even doubt they know where Romania is on the European map.

tick 1

from John M: Ex-Member (deleted:johnthedivine) photos on Mon 10/09/12 09:04

Well, what does you day comprise ? Do you have a comminity spirit where you live? Do people do things for one another or do they just look after themselves. How do you treat visitors ?
    Is that enough to be going on with ?

from Rodger M (rodger_moffet) lifetime member member photos on Mon 10/09/12 09:31

When I travel to other countries i find its the little things that get me most excited. I tend to avoid the big tourist attractions other than to 'tick them off' on my list of places to see.

What I love is wandering around the suburbs or small towns, going into supermarkets. Im more likely to get excited by the colour of a mail box than a big tourist attraction.

I was in Paris years ago and the only thing i brought back was a jar of Keillers marmalade made in Dundee. I bought it because the label was written in French.

from John M: Ex-Member (deleted:johnthedivine) photos on Mon 10/09/12 11:30

Know exactly what you mean Ridger !

from John M: Ex-Member (deleted:johnthedivine) photos on Mon 10/09/12 11:32

Ridger ? sorry Rodger.

from Denisa B: Tartan is a music score with life bonds. (deni_wee_lass) photos on Mon 10/09/12 16:37

Personally i live at countryside, and people in the village area are much more united and have a well-developed "community spirit" as you called it, we always help each other and we expect nothing in exchange. We also are much more open to receive guests, no matter where from. We ALWAYS feed them Romanian food...haha~. But stay away from big cities! There won't be a lot of people to greet you or take some time to show you around or explain anything. As a conclusion, people at countryside are warmer than people in the big cities. Of course, there can be a few exceptions too, luckily.
    One disadvantage is that not many people at countryside can speak English, though. People in the big crowded places are better at that. :P

from John M: Ex-Member (deleted:johnthedivine) photos on Mon 10/09/12 21:13

You know it's just the same in most countries. France, in particular. The countryside is where you find the true heart of a country. As for speaking English, well my attitude is, as visitors WE should make the effort. Thank you Denisa, that was very good of you to give a little insight into your country.

from Denisa B: Tartan is a music score with life bonds. (deni_wee_lass) photos on Tue 11/09/12 17:20

Well, you can always ask if you need to know something. :)

This topic's tags: bucharest, dracula, east, eastern, europe, gymnasctics, religion, romania, saint andrew, transylvania.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: