A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Smartest Dog In The World

quickfind:4070

Postings on this topic in the 'Pets & Other Animals: Dogs' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Page 1 of 2: 1 2 next
    Smartest dog in the world
    from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Wed 06/01/10 12:37

Well Its not a surprise to me after having lived with this wee fella for 12 years but check out this clip of a Border Collie they are saying is the smartest dog in the world.. What a wee beauty he is too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8441974.stm

tick 3

Re: Smartest dog in the world
    from Tam R: Albannach chan Breatannach (tamr) photos on Wed 06/01/10 13:06

He's a smart dog alright.

I agree Collies are the best dogs anyone could have.

I had a bearded Collie cross and he could pick out his individual toys by command. I swear he could almost speak too.

He was a great dog. I still miss him.

from Ian L: Ex-Member (deleted:lionsoflisbon) member on Wed 06/01/10 13:27

I am definately a dog man & only my lifestyle prevents me having one , but it would certainly be a border given the opportunity !!

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Wed 06/01/10 13:28

I wouldnt have any other breed now. A fabby breed. Scooby recognises a fair few words. I will say to him who is at the window and he will go storming through to the front of the house and look out the window to see who is there. He also knows what stinky means..If I say that to him he hides. Wee soul...

from Jill F (vango) member photos on Wed 06/01/10 14:15

Lovely! My first dog was a German-Shepherd cross, and very, very bright. I worked out she knew about 250 words, and she was better than me at remembering how to get to people's houses, if we hadn't been there often. I'd say the persons' name and she'd lead the way! Meg (Springer Spaniel) is pretty smart too, but she spends a lot of time thinking about things. I think she studies human behaviour, rather than focusing in on words. Monty (English Pointer) has the brain of an alien - he may be smart in some remote pointer world, but is really wierd and impossible to fathom - in fact you really don't want to go there!

from Amy Jo T: Ex-Member (deleted:amyjo) on Wed 06/01/10 15:16

We use to have a Sheltie. I think he was a very smart dog. Someone gave him to us when he was about 5 years old. He was very loyal to us and a great companion. Sometimes I would look into his eyes and wonder if he were human. He understood words and was very playful and thankful. He got very sick and we had to put him down. His last day alive, we went to the vet office where he was attached to IVs. He was very weak, but lifted one of his little paws to shake our hand goodbye. He was the first animal I ever cried for.

from Charles B: Clan Grant Society - USA (scotslad) member photos on Wed 06/01/10 16:37

Our current dog, a Border Collie/Chow Chow cross is very intelligent. His name is "Alexander McNaughtie" by my wife's choosing, as she wanted a Scottish name. The Alexander comes from several famous Scots by that first name, and the "MacNaughtie" comes from one of the spellings of her Clan MacNaughtan variations. We call the pup "Sandy" in the same manner that my father Alexander Grant Burton was known as "San" for years. He is very high energy, and seems quite intelligent for a 10-month-old pup. He knows several 'words', remembers where he last left his favorite tennis ball, and knows his toys by individual name. This is the 3rd Border Collie I've had and have loved them all. My "Cindy" (for black as cinders) was given to an elderly pair of sisters for a companion dog when we had to move. I understand that the dog was exactly what they needed, and became a great guide dog for both the women as they aged and eye-sight deteriorated. Although having no 'formal' training for such duties, the dog seemed to know what was needed and just learned to help the women cope.

from Amy Jo T: Ex-Member (deleted:amyjo) on Wed 06/01/10 16:51

I would love to have a border collie. But I heard most of them need a good place to run because they have lots of energy. I don't have quite an acre of land, so I don't know if that would be enough for an active dog or not. I"ve thought about adopting an older border collie.

tick 1

from Tam R: Albannach chan Breatannach (tamr) photos on Wed 06/01/10 16:54

quickfind:scotslad > ""Alexander McNaughtie""

Great name, but I can't imagine calling it out in a park.

"Alexander McNaughtie - here boy" lol

What do you call him for short?

from Rodger M (rodger_moffet) lifetime member member photos on Wed 06/01/10 17:17

Jings - thats amazing, A dog that knows more German than I do!

from David B: Proud member of the Clan Buchanan! (ctbuchanan) member photos on Wed 06/01/10 17:31

Scoobie HAS to be the smartest dog in the world. He found you didn't he? :-D

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Wed 06/01/10 20:30

Scooby was a wee rescue dog.. no-one wanted him and I actually walked by him several times before he caught my eye.. glad he did though cos he is my wee buddy and dont even want to think about the day he wont be here..

quickfind:amyjo > "But I heard most of them need a good place to run because they have lots of energy."

I only have a small garden but luckily for him I like getting out for lots of walks.. as long as you keep their brains active and walk their wee legs off them, then they are brill wee pets. They can be stubborn and awkward mutts too but the the way to get round that is to be more stubborn than them. I was told very early on by a dog trainer that you had to be strict and consistent with Border Collies or they would take the piss out of you. Gotta love the wee buggers though :o)

from Mary Nivison B: Oregon Lass (maclass47) member photos on Wed 06/01/10 21:11

quickfind:tamr > "What do you call him for short?"

quickfind:scotslad > "We call the pup "Sandy" "

Most of the time he does not live up to his "last" name - MacNaughtie.

from Tam R: Albannach chan Breatannach (tamr) photos on Wed 06/01/10 21:15

Oh, I see. I thought you had a dog called Alexander and a pup called Sandy, lol.

Nice dog, and he looks mischevious too!

from D S H: Ex-Member (deleted:dshamilton) member on Wed 06/01/10 22:12

I am sorry to disappoint you all, but Jack is the smartest dog in the world. Sorry. Just ask him.

This is a great post. Thanks so much. Cheerio!

from Julia C: Loving Scotland (thistlejay) photos on Wed 06/01/10 23:00

I used to work for a dog rehoming charity and foster dogs for them. Nearly every dog I had was a border collie and nearly all of them had dominance problems due to lack of training or ignorance by their owners. They are great dogs and so intelligent but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Luckily every dog that came to me was rehomed to a good home even one that was so bad it was in danger of being destroyed but with love and patience he went to a good home and had a great life.

from Alysen C: Oi! Scotster makes the world go round... (alysen) photos on Thu 07/01/10 02:33

quickfind:dshamilton > "I am sorry to disappoint you all, but Jack is the smartest dog in the world. Sorry. Just ask him"

Funny! I bet he runs circles around you.

I love all dogs, each breed for their own traits. But, the one that suits me the best is the husky - o so, cheeky! Full of antics and very protective of their humans.

from D S H: Ex-Member (deleted:dshamilton) member on Thu 07/01/10 02:38

He does run circles around me. He also figured out that if tricks means treats, then he don't do no tricks unless he sees the treat. Common Sense, he don't know many words, but he doesn't need them. If I had 341 words for food, he would remember them all.

from Rodger M (rodger_moffet) lifetime member member photos on Thu 07/01/10 09:43

We had a German Shepherd who now lives with our mother in law. when no 2 child came along she was too much of a handful and she's settled there now and has lots of room and attention so don't want to bring her back. When we meet up she is amazing with the kids - wherever they go she shadows them like a minder. We've watched them playing in the park and she just circles them constantly doing her 'perimeter patrol'

After our last cat died we wanted to get a dog again and settled for a Cocker Spaniel, we boarded a Springer for a few years and she was great fun and great with the kids. Floyd is still a pup and naughty as hell but he's getting there!

from Tam R: Albannach chan Breatannach (tamr) photos on Thu 07/01/10 09:47

quickfind:rodger_moffet > "Floyd is still a pup"

Floyd, I like it!

from Julia C: Loving Scotland (thistlejay) photos on Thu 07/01/10 11:11

Just re read my posting and where i wrote i wouldn't recommend border collies to anyone I should have written everyone. Sorry.

from A D: Ex-Member (deleted:dollydimples) on Thu 07/01/10 12:26

quickfind:thistlejay > "i wouldn't recommend border collies to anyone I should have written everyone."

I quite agree with that.. They are great dogs if you can be bothered with all the training. I have told people in the past that were wanting a collie not to get one.. just because I knew they wouldnt be able to handle the collie quirks.

from Jill F (vango) member photos on Thu 07/01/10 14:21

quickfind:rodger_moffet > "We had a German Shepherd who now lives with our mother in law. when no 2 child came along she was too much of a handful and she's settled there now and has lots of room and attention so don't want to bring her back. When we meet up she is amazing with the kids - wherever they go she shadows them like a minder. "

Yes, Ishtar, my GS x was brilliant with babies, kids, and even kittens. When my son was a baby if I didn't get up on the instant he started crying she would come over and paw at me to go and see to him. And I couldn't take her for a walk unless Sam came too - she wouldn't leave the house without him. I think it's the same with all bright dogs of the working type though - you have to be able to put the time in or else you can end up with problems.

from Jill F (vango) member photos on Thu 07/01/10 20:32

Did anyone see the programme on BBC2 last night about dog intelligence and the dog-human bond? It was pretty amazing and showed (amongst other fascinating things) how dogs developed barking to communicate with humans - and how doggie people can understand the different barks of all dogs - not just their own. Also how breeding out aggression thousands of years ago meant breeding dogs with more puppyish characters - affectionate and dependent - which in turn meant that physical puppyish characteristics developed too alongside them - shorter noses, different colours, floppy ears big eyes etc - and so the wolf became the dog, despite being almost identical genetically. Sadly there were some breeding experiments on lots of poor, poor foxes farmed for their fur that demonstrated some of this : (

It also featured that lovely collie in the video - she really was amazing, and would even recognise pictures of her toy...

from Julia C: Loving Scotland (thistlejay) photos on Thu 07/01/10 21:18

Ooo didn't see that one but will look it up on iplayer. You also reminded me i read the forum but never watched the video. If i were a dog I would never make a border collie lol. off to watch the video now.

Page 1 of 2: 1 2 next

This topic's tags: border collies, dog, dogs, scooby.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: