A guide to the Clans and Tartans of Scotland: From Scottish Clan Information to Clan Merchandise, Handmade Kilts, Highland Outfits ... everything a true Scot should need and know.
|

FIND A NEW CLAN

enter clan name

follow us on Twitter

Turmeric Fried Rice

quickfind:3153

Postings on this topic in the 'Food & Drink: Cooking' chat forum

This feature is provided by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland. Clicking on a poster's name will take you to the Scotster website to view the person's full profile. You may click the 'Back' button on your browser to return to this page or follow the links on Scotster. To post a message on this topic, please join Scotster.

Turmeric fried rice
    from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 12:36

Turmeric fried rice

1 oz Ghee
    1 Cup White rice
    2 Cups water
    1½ teaspoons Turmeric
    1 large Chopped Onion
    1 Cinnamon stick
    3 Bay leaves
    6 Cardamom pods (black pods are best – white or green are also ok)
    6 Cloves
    ½ teaspoon Salt

Garnish
    Chopped coriander
    Onion rings
    Fresh tomato

Chop the onion, and lightly fry it in the ghee at medium heat. Whilst stirring, add the turmeric and the bayleaves. Lightly crush the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods, add and stir. Then add the dry rice, keep stirring until the rice becomes translucent yellow.

Add the water (just less than twice as much water as rice), and season with salt. Allow to simmer until virtually all the water has been absorbed. Remove the pan from the hob. The rice should be soft, but each grain should separate easily. Let it sit for a few minutes on the hob (but hob switched off, to absorb the last of the water, garnish with chopped coriander leaves, onion rings and sliced tomato.

Re: Turmeric fried rice
    from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 12:40

Ghee-Can we substitute it for margarine or butter, or does it have to be ghee ?

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 12:44

Unsalted butter is fine. Salted butter tends to burn and give a wee bit of a nutty taste - better to use a small amount of olive oil.

Or perhaps MAKE ghee (it's not too difficult): http://www.ayurveda.com/online_resource/ghee_recipe.htm

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 12:46

..oh, by the way, apart from cooking, I have NO IDEA what the rest of that article is about - my medical knowledge is zilch!

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 12:55

D'ye know what Phillip? I think I've read most of your recipes now and they all seem fairly easy to follow. I might even become a first rate chef if I practice hard enough. These are great. Can't wait to try the cockaleekie soup and maybe the cullen skink. I'll let you know when I've tried them. I'll certainly do the turmeric fried rice because I love curries.

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 13:08

How do you do that Quick find thingy Phillip?

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 13:14

For a superb Rogan Josh http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/indian/03/rec0324.html

It's a Madhur Jaffrey recipe, I make no claims on - but it's the best I've tasted!

The quickfind is easy. If you have the (say) recipe open, top left will be a quickfind: number. Every page/forum topic has one. Remember (or copy) that number, and type 'quickfind:' (remembering the colon!) then paste the number. It's an easy link back to the recipe - thanks, Jason!

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 13:18

Just read that Madhur Jaffrey recipe I linked to. Her book that I used suggested dry roasting the cumin seeds before grinding them. Best done in a heavy pan - no oil, just pour the seeds onto a hot pan, shake occasionally until they have turned one shade darker.

Worth doing, the aroma fills the kitchen, and it's mouth-watering!

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 13:20

I always use dried herbs. Is that ok?

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 13:32

Putting dried herbs IN the cooking is usually not a disaster - fresh herbs are better. But many Indian recipes (for example) call for coriander leaves as a garnish. Parsley as a garnish is also common in recipes - better to omit than use dried coriander or parsley - especially if the jar's been opened. Many dried herbs and spices turn bitter or go 'off' after a few weeks from breaking the seal. Paprika turns a pale grey and loses its 'punch'! Dried herbs out a freshly opened jar are fine! But replacing your jar of (eg) marjoram after only one teaspoon has been used IS rather expensive!

Anyone else have any thoughts on how to keep dried herbs fresh enough to use??

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 13:49

I have a very good recipe for Calcutta beef curry. It is the best curry I have tasted. It comes from Step by Step guide to Indian Cooking by halid Aziz, and it is a great book that I would thoroughly reccomend to anyone who likes Indian food. It has recipes for everything from pakora to poppadums, to dhal. samosas, bhajis, etc. The folowing recipe actually tastes beter the next day as it marinates longer.

Calcutta Beef Curry :

1lb/450g. beef
    1pt/6dl. water
    2 teaspoons corriander powder
    half teaspn. turmeric
    half teaspn cummin seed powder
    1 teaspon chilli powder
    half teaspn grnd. blk pepper
    Then the recipe says 2 teaspns salt, but I have found that even 1 teaspn is more than enough.
    1 teaspn grnd. ginger
    1 -2 tablespns milk to mix
    1 lge. onion
    i clove garlic
    1oz/25g. ghee
    Garnish: fresh coriander or parsley

I clean all the beef of any fat, cut into 1 inch cubes and simmer in the lightly salted water until tender.
    Mix together the coriander powder, turmeric, cummin,chilli powder, blk pepper, salt and ginger and using the tblspn. of milk mix to a paste in a cup or saucer.
    Peel the onion and slice thinly along with the garlic. Fry in the ghee until golden brown. * Add the paste and fry for a further 3 minutes. *
    Now ad the meat together with half the water in which it has been boiling. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, adding some of the remaining water if the gravy appears too thick. * ( I add the paste to the water at this point instead of adding to the frying of the onion and garlic) *

Serve garnished with a little chopped green coriander or parsley. You can use fresh herbs instead of powdered herbs if you wish in this recipe, and if you let it marinate overnight, it is even tastier.

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 13:56

Ooops! Typo, meant Khalid Aziz.

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 14:21

That sounds rather tasty! I might try that one Monday as a recipe for leftover roast beef - sometimes a roast is a little tough, and cubing and boiling it the next day gives a lovely tender stew or curry!

Incidentally, I still think my own vegetable pakora recipe is as good as ANY I've tasted in restaurants!

1 small cauliflower head (remove leaves) broken into fairly small florets no larger than dessert spoon)
    2 large potatoes peeled, raw, grated
    2 large onions, peeled and diced
    3 large tomatoes, diced
    2 tablespoons cumin seeds - dry roasted and ground
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
    Half teaspoon salt
    Black peppercorns, ground
    1 Teaspoon home-made garam masala
    1 small tub natural plain yoghurt
    Gram flour (chickpea flour)

Method:
    Mix all the veg together, adding the spices, salt and yoghurt. Sieve gram flour on to the mix, tablespoon at a time, until the mix starts to stiffen enough not to dribble. Heat a chip pan and prepare for fun! When chip pan is hot, have a cooling tray and slotted spoon handy, and 2 large teaspoons or small dessert spoons.

Using the dessert/tea-spoons, scoop and shape 'balls' of the raw mix, and gently ease into the hot oil - don't let the spoons touch the oil. Add in batches of 6 - 10. As the balls turn a chestnut brown, use the slotted spoon to lift them on to the cooling tray, and put the next batch into the oil. By batch 3 or 4, you may need to add a little more sieved gram flour to keep the mix from getting too runny. When they're all done, remember to switch off the deep fryer!

Serve with slices of lemon to squeeze over, and raw onion and tomato slices, a little chopped parsley, coriander and lettuce - a hot spicy dip is also a good idea!

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 14:26

Hot dip sauce (quickie):

1 tin chopped tomatoes
    Large 'skoosh' of tomato sauce (ketchup)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon hot chilli sauce
    Squeeze of lemon juice
    1 beef Oxo cube or similar

Mix it all in a small saucepan, bring to simmer, stirring until the cube has dissolved. Pour into individual serving bowls. Serve with the pakora!

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 14:27

Side note: The Calcutta Beef curry doesn't really have very much of a sauce. It is meant to be a dry curry with all the flavours coming from the herbs and spices, so only a little sauce/gravy neccessary just enough to moisten the rice.

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 14:41

Mulligatawny Soup:

This is wonderful, I love it.

1 lge. onion
    i clove garlic
    1 teaspn. grd. ginger
    2 green chillis
    2 oz/50g ghee
    half teaspn coriander powder
    half teaspn turmeric
    half teaspn cumin seed
    1 teaspn salt
    half teaspn fenugreek powder
    2 pts/1 and a quarter litres of meat stock

1 Peel and slice the onion with the garlic. Fry with the grnd ginger and chilis in the ghee for 2 minutes.
    2 Then ad the coriander, turmeric, cummin seed, salt and fenugreek powder. Cook for about 3 minutes.
    3 Finally add the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for ten minutes and serve with a garnish of fresh corainder or parsley.

tick 1

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 14:47

I am thinking of starting a little herb garden, but am going to grow everything in pots, because a lot of the plants tend to take over the garden if they are allowed, eg, mint. What would you reccommend me to start with? I thought parsley, thyme, mint,(for my Italian cooking) but I don't know which Indian herbs are good for growing in pots.

from Philip A: Cogito, sumere potum alterum (phil) photos online on Tue 07/07/09 15:05

I managed to grow coriander in Stornoway - loads of coriander seeds, but not many leaves!

Bay trees will grow ok, but they are expensive - sadly, a local dog killed ours!

At the moment, (in Moray) we've removed the mint (was taking over!), but these herbs are growing well, without going haywire:

Tarragon, sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram. Lavender is even worse than mint - spreads like dandelions!

On a seasonal basis, indoor pots with parsley, mint, chives, chervil and coriander will last a few weeks - better to buy from garden centres than supermarkets if you're thinking of potting them outside. Garden Centres may at least have acclimatised them outside - supermarkets (IMHO) assume you will be using the herbs off the kitchen window.

from Lori W: Ex-Member (deleted:lorisupertalent) member on Tue 07/07/09 15:52

Thanks Philip, I'll let you know how I get on soon.

This topic has no tags.

Would you like to chat about the clan?

Our social networking features are powered by Scotster, the photo sharing and social site for Scotland.

We teamed up with Scotster to enable you to meet other people affiliated to the clan and to read and contribute to chat forums for the clan.

Please login. Not a Member? Click to join Scotster - it's 100% FREE.
    email: password:

Scotster. Where Scotland meets. Whether you're 100% Scottish, with Scots ancestry, friends or family, or you simply love Scotland, Scotster helps you to find people who share your interests:

• Create a profile showing your clan affiliations and chat in clan forums
    • Expand your social circle by finding people who enjoy doing the same things you do
    • Share photos and memories of good times and great places
    • Link to your friends and chat with fast and easy-to-use messaging
    • Discover people in your local area or within any distance from a postcode or place name
    • Organise and promote social events
    • Find people with local knowledge about what to do and where to stay in places you're visiting
    • Have a laugh, get serious or ask for advice in our friendly forums
    • Enjoy free unlimited access to all features
    Get started: